Premed 101 Forums

Statistic for 2004 entry applicants

Guest Jerika81

Guest Jerika81

Hey guys,

We just had our meeting today giving us the low down on what to do and what not to do when we are interviewing those of you who were successful this year. They also gave us some stats for this years application cycle that I thought you might be interested in.

There were a total of 1577 applications submitted this year.

Of that, 147 were tossed because they were incomplete or didn't meet the minimum cut-offs.

The remaining 1430 applications were reviewed by a committee of 12 people.

273 of those applications have been selected for interviews.

So to those of you who got rejected- don't be too hard on yourself and don't stress out about the whys?- you're in the company of 1304 other people.

They also said that there will again be 100 spots for this year (85 Albertan, 15 OOP) so I guess the class size will not be increasing for 2004 entry. But hey, if you got an interview your odds are already really good.:D

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Jerika81,

Thanks very much for posting those details. Wow, 273 doesn't seem like a large interview pool, relative to other schools. :rolleyes

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Lorae,

I was told by Admissions that about 70-80 applicants are interviewed for the 15 out-of-province spots.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 3 weeks later...
Guest frogcanada

Hey katwoman

Not sure if you already got this answer somewhere else, but my understanding is that U of C now puts all of those interviewed but not admitted on a waitlist, but you won't know where on the list you are. You could get called anytime up until the first week of classes. They used to have an "admitted", "waitlist" and "rejected" list, but I think everyone else is on the waitlist now.

FC ;)

Guest frogcanada

That's what I heard... they had one or two years where they went through the waitlist and had to take one or two people from the "reject" list so they got a letter saying they were rejected, then first week of classes they got a call saying they were in if they still wanted it... this was from a current U of C med student so it's second hand info... so now everyone is waitlisted, and you don't know where you are in the list??

FC

Guest Jerika81

Hmm, I don't know if you should base too much on this. I only say so because I know that last year there were rejections sent out, and they did not go through the entire waitlist last year (meaning no one was accepted after getting an initial rejection letter). I don't know about their being past years where they had to take people from the "reject" list, but even if this did happen say 2 years ago, it doesn't make sense that they'd keep the rejections for last year (and have that method work) and then take it away this year.

Anyways, I have not heard anything about them putting everyone on the waitlist this year, and generally I'd assume "no news" means it will be the same as last year. I'm guessing none of the other moderators have heard anything to confirm this rumor or they would have posted something. Still, I'm not sure why a current U of C med student thought this, so maybe they have information that the rest of us don't?

Guest frogcanada

Hi there

Not sure where they got that info either. Maybe it's just that they're sending out less rejection letters than they used to, until they get a few confirmations back to make sure their numbers are OK.

Thanks

FC

Archived