Premed 101 Forums

Failed undergrad courses

Guest UofT ES

Guest UofT ES

First of all id like to congratulate the people who have made this forum possible. Excellent job (im sure you get this a lot).

Also id like to say hi to all the formidable students (yes all of you, waitlisted, rejected, accepted whatever..!) that write here. I guess, after looking around the different topics i could not find one that aswered my question so here it goes:

If you fail a course (i failed intro organic chem in first year :( at UofT), how does it affect your chances to get into med school. Im an Alberta resident, and that is why im posting on the CalgaryMed thread, this would be my choice of medschool if i ever get accepted (love Calgary). And last but not least, how do i remedy for it? I am ofcourse retaking it, but should i go any further in taking organic chem courses to prove that it is not a trend with me, and wont happen ever ever again?

PS- will I have to go as far as grad school for my mistake?

Guest marbledust

Hi and welcome to the forumns!

About failing a class - it does not have to end your hopes for admission. I failed more than one class due to a number of reasons. It happens for a variety of reasons - illness, personal or family difficulties, or, of course, the class just didn't work out how you planned :)

Although your complete academic record is "considered" at Calgary for interview purposes, it is your two best years that count when the admissions decisions are made. You can redeem yourself if it is obvious that the F grade was not the norm and your gpa for each year and cumulatively is good. There is also the option of attaching an explanation of why you may have a semester or year that you feel doesn't reflect your academic abilities.

In order to clean up my academic record I took the failed courses over, took a higher level course in the same subject field, and then enrolled as a post-degree unclassified student to both raise my gpa and complete the necessary pre-reqs for med. Actually I ended up completing a second undergrad degree in the process, but that wasn't really planned.

If you only have 1 F, it is unlikely you will need to spend as much time as I did in academic purgatory trying to "fix" my transcripts. The point is an F (or even a couple) won't disqualify you from Calgary. But the thing to remember is other schools use your entire record for admission purposes. It varies across the country.

Good luck!

Guest UofT ES

WHEEE! That answer rocks, thanks for taking the time. Honeslty you have no idea how mutch that helps! I thought i killed my chances forever. This year wont be that great for me im afraid, but this is not due to weakness in academic abilities. So i'll try really hard for the rest of my time at UofT and ofcourse fix that course good by retaking and taking a higher level course on the subject. Thanks again!

Archived