Premed 101 Forums

only 32 more days

Guest happy2bme

Guest happy2bme

Or maybe even less, judging by past year they phoned people on the 12th and sent the letters a few days later.

A month seems so short but that final week will feel so long.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest wylie348

Oh...I hope that is not just a teaser! I am getting very tired of waiting! What amazes me is just how much planning we have to do (at least I hope it is WE), once we get the good news!

Here is wishing the rest of you U of C waiters all the best!

Guest happy2bme

I don't know how the interviewers could know that it would be 2 weeks earlier than the May 15th date, way back in March?? And I don't believe (Kristeen correct me if I'm wrong) that the interviewers are on the Adcom, if some were then I think it could unfairly influence their judgement when comparing candidates, either positively or negatively. But who knows....

Although I hope it is earlier, knowing the decision, would give me peace of mind.

Guest snpqueen

At my interview day, one of the Adcom members (or the guy who supervises them???). Said that the phone calls could go out as early as May 1st.

Here's hoping that they will :D . This waiting is distracting me from my thesis writing, and my defense date looms.

Guest medsmurf

I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed that it will be May 1. Hmmm...I wonder if Adele would give us any hints as to when it will be...

I promised myself I wouldn't go neurotic about all of this waiting but it looks as if it's too late.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest medsmurf

If you look back in threads from previous years they do seem to make calls on sundays and the calls have started going out before May 15.

Basically, once the first of May hits I think it could be anytime and I will be waiting very anxiously.

Guest happy2bme

I'm with you on that one Medsmurf. I'm gunning for that first week of May. I'm even gone so far as to change my voicemail so that it has my name on it (instead of the generic message) in case I'm not home if they do decide to bless me with a call! I hope the news is sooner than later regardless of the outcome, because I have a lot to do if I am going back to school in Aug.

I have been replaying my interview in my head over the past weekend and driving my self insane thinking how many ways my answers may have been misinterpreted by the panel. AAGGGHHHHH! Even though I know that I probably did fine it still is an unnerving feeling.

Still no word on the street about more seats from the increased funding by Klein?? The governors meeting at UofC haven't posted any minutes so I don't even know if it was brought up or not. It would be great if another 25 were added and even better if it was effective immediately, and dealt with the need for the increased residency spots later....

Oh well I'm not holding my breath.

Guest wylie348

I am with both of you! I have been counting the days since the interviews...

Here is hoping that we hear some good news - and soon!

:rollin

The approvals from the last BOG meeting have been posted. Under the heading of 2005-09 budget and Business Plan Considerations for the University of Calgary the following was carried: "That the Board of Governors, on the recommendation of the Planning and Finance Committee, the University Budget Committee and the Vice-President (Finance and Services): 1. approve the total University budget for 2005-2006 as detailed in Schedules 1 and 2 of the attachment, and 2. receive for information financial projections for the subsequent three years."

I'm not exactly sure what this means as I don't know what the Schedules 1 & 2 of the attachment are. But one of the New or expanded programs for consideration in the 2005-2006 University budget recommendations was to increase the MD prgram to 125 students. I'm hoping that the BOG approval includes this.

ss

Guest Braveheart

:eek Whoa! I've tried to keep my mind off of this waiting for some time but after hearing about May1 being when they could start phoning... ekkk I'm starting to think about it. I thought they were telling us later, like June or something. Oh well good to get it over with.

Ahh, time for the sleepless nights to begin. Hopefully it works out for all of us and we can finally chill after May. Does anyone know how the deposit actually works and how much it is? I hear that we need to put in a $1000 or something deposit when we accept the seat... is there a due date for this deposit? Arrgh, gotta save up some money for that deposit....

Best of Luck Everyone!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there;

Regarding footing the bill for a deposit, there are often resources that you can call upon relatively quickly once you receive a medical school acceptance. As soon as you have your acceptance letter in hand you can take it to a bank and receive a line of credit for medical school within a few days. (I barely met my Royal Bank person and they handed over a tidy sum.) :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest siRNA

I guess we're all obsessed with this forum and anxiously awaiting our acceptance phone calls...:D ....

Braveheart...according to the 2004/5 admissions brochure, "All successful applicants are required to forward $100.00 deposit within 15 working days of notification of admission. Failure to do so may result in the position being assigned to the applicant listed first on the alternate list. "

So, it's only $100 and I guess they'll give us ample time to make that deposit...GOOD LUCK TO US ALL!!

Cheers,

Jules

Guest wattyjl

$100 - i wonder if that applies to OOPs... guess it's a good way for calgary to make some easy money (off the ontario applicants anyway).

btw: 'siRNA' - that has to be nerdiest nick ever! or is it because you're trying to knockdown the competition? (... i guess that has to be the lamest joke ever...)

Guest marbledust
$100 - i wonder if that applies to OOPs... guess it's a good way for calgary to make some easy money (off the ontario applicants anyway).

I don't know how much "easy money" U of C actually makes by this--I can't imagine it would be a great deal, relatively speaking. I guess it is the principle :lol

I wondered myself a few years ago when I sent mine in if the deposit actually encouraged people to commit to Calgary because they didn't want to lose their money. But for that to be true, the deposit would have to be a lot larger because I don't think many people would worry about losing $100...especially when you are forking out $15,000+ for tution. Although I do recall stressing out over how I was going to come up with $100 I just did not have at the time...this was before the blessed LOC came through.

Maybe it should be closer to what somebody else mentioned an Irish school charges--$6000. Then they wouldn't have to worry about sending out more offers and going through the waitlist...lol.

I assume all the other schools charge some form of acceptance deposit. Anybody know how much the other med schools charge? Just curious...

Guest Steve U of T

I think the Ontario schools charge $1000. Of course, these are generally the last schools to send out acceptances, so it's not too bad. You're not forced to make a decision without knowing your options.

Archived