Premed 101 Forums

deferral

Guest chenzy

Guest chenzy

Hi All,

I just got accepted to the U of C yesterday, but it seems that I will not be able to finish my PhD on time for August. I would need about 3-4 more months. I am wondering if anyone is familiar with the U of C’s deferral policies and whether finishing a PhD is a valid reason for deferral.

As an alternate plan, I am wondering whether it may be possible to enroll in the MD/PhD program if I am doing the PhD component at the U of A.

Thanks

Guest happy2bme

I would probably think that they would grant this request for the Phd but you have to apply of course, and I'm pretty sure there is a deadline to do so. I would apply for the deferral asap if you are certain that you would have problems attending classes due to your PhDwork being in Edmonton. I would think the quicker one applies for a deferral the better their chance of having it granted as they obviously limit how many they can accomadate year to year.

However I wonder what would happen if your deferal was granted but you finished your work earlier than anticipated and perhaps they could put you at the top of the waitlist so that you still might attend UofC in aug.??

This definitly is a question for Adele or Susan, Keep us posted as someone might be in a similar situation!

Good luck

Archived