Premed 101 Forums

The "Waitlist"

Guest paulyg23

Guest paulyg23

Does anyone have at least an idea of how many people are waitlisted for in-province? Are we talking about 50 people?? And then how many approximately get in - two? three? twenty? I need something to go on here...

I'm guessing there will be a few spots over the next few weeks and then a few more once U of A hands out some more acceptances.

It seems a bit absurd that applicants can't find out their ranking or total # waitlisted. The only reason I can come up with is that the admissions office doesn't want fifty phone calls a day asking what # are you at now??!! and so on.

Guest Jerika81

I've always heard that the reason they don't tell you want number you are on the waitlist is because if you find out you're # 27 and you know someone who is #15 you might try to convince them not to go to university X so that you will move up a spot on the waitlist. I don't actually think any one would do this, but I do know that they are very strict and will not tell anyone where they are on the waitlist under any circumstances.

I know a guy who was waitlisted a couple years ago at U of C and accepted at U of T. He really wanted to stay in Calgary because his Mom had just been diagnosed with cancer. But U of C wouldn't tell him where he was on the waitlist so eventually he had to accept U of Ts offer. He ended up getting in off U of Cs waitlist but it was already too late at that point.

I don't know why they don't at least give out the number of people on the waitlist though. But I think your guess of 50 is a little low. I think it's at least 100.

Guest serne

they interviewed 185 in-province i was told. 85 were accepted. which leaves 100. and people WERE rejected from this remaining group of 100. i was told by someone who went to med school at u of c and has interviewed candidates and knows a lot about the process that the waitlist is almost the size as the number of spots they accept (i.e. 85). this would mean only 15 people were rejected right away. as for the number of people let in off the wait list, this person told me that it is approximately 50% (so maybe 42 people get off the waitlist). i think that a fairly high number of people get off the waitlist. but i would take this all with a grain of salt just like anything you "hear" about admissions...

Guest me maniac

so what would the numbers be for OOP? The letter states that all of the interviewees that were not the 15 original ones offered a seat are placed on the waitlist. That means out of the 80 that were initially interviewed, 65 of them are on the waitlist! How many of these potentially have a realistic chance of getting admitted? I'm sure it varies a great deal from year to year, but with Calgary's tuition increasing this year, I'm assuming that this will be a great influencing factor on decisions. I am also assuming that the OOP waitlist moves substantially, otherwise why would they place all other applicants on the wait list?

As well, I am wondering if OOP were given 2 weeks or 30 days to accept/reject the offer?

me

Guest PARTY cal

I spoke with the office last week.

This is for in-prov:

75 people on the waitlist...how many spots it moves each year?? It changes year by year. I was told that once the 30 days is up the wailist will begin to move significantly. They will call you right away and send a package out to you if they don't get a hold of you.

As for OOP, sorry I don't know

I think it is really hard to speculate about waitlists. Every school is so different, and every year is different. Last year UBC blew right through their waitlist and had to offer admission to people who were initially outright rejected. This was obviously an abnormal year, otherwise they would have a bigger waiting list if this typically happened. When I went to Western for my interview they said they made 234 offers to fill the 133 seats, so obviously they have a big list, whereas U of A only has 20 people on their waitlist (well, that was the case last year, and I think that was only for the 4 year + pool, so probably 20 people per each category) and only 10/20 got offers. I was told that one of the reasons people can't find out their place on the waitlist, or even how many are on it (at most places) is because it is too hard on the student. What if you knew you were #6 and waited all summer assuming you would get a call and for some reason the list didn't move that much.... It would be even more agonizing knowing how close you were and trying to plan your life. This is just my guess.... I am sending in my letter to decline my offer at Calgary, so at least one more position will be available soon. Good luck.

Guest paulyg23

I appreciate the feedback - even though much is just speculation, it is something. Its good to know that the waitlist could move significantly. I guess you have to think that there is a substantial overlap between who is accepted at both U of C and U of A.

Guest steve mcqueen

Hi all, just found out that i got in off the OOP waitlist yesterday so i guess its starting to move. I'll almost certainly accept Calgary and turn down UBC for those of you on the UBC waitlist,

cheers

Guest UofCMeds2005

The OP waitlist does move quite rapidly. I suspect that the OP waitlist will begin to move a little next week (after ONT notifies) and then again in mid July (ONT firm deadline)...

Guest me maniac

I talked to Sandy of the admissions office last week. She told me that there are 71 people on the OOP waitlist. :eek ... when she heard me groan, she tried to assure me that the waitlist does move - they generally go through about 3/4 of the people on it!

Just thought you might want to know.

me

Guest me maniac

does anyone know if people have been/are being accepted from the waitlist yet? I seem to recall that today is the deadline for sending in deposits...

Any one have any info on this subject? :D

me

Guest me maniac

Paulyg23,

I'm beginning to think like that old song: "there ain't nobody here but us chickens, there ain't nobody here at all...." :lol

or in our case, waitlisted chickens! :D

me

Guest paulyg23

me,

maybe there's only a few people waiting....(I know - dream on)

I thought that the deadline would be June 15 seeing as though it is thirty days from May 15?? What do you think?

Guest me maniac

I seem to recall someone writing that they had 30 days from May 9th (the day the letters were written).

Not too many people waiting, huh? GREAT!!!! Oh, oh....... then why haven't you and I heard? :\

me

Guest me maniac

Soapy,

Ooooooooh, for your sake, I hope you are right! I say for your sake because if I don't get in to Calgary, I will be sobbing on your shoulder for the next four years at UBC! :lol

Oh, well.... I can't think of a better shoulder to cry on (especially, if I know you, you will slap me around until I'm happy doing post mortems at UBC!) :smokin

me

Guest paulyg23

I was called this morning off the in-province waitlist. What a feeling! Hopefully this means good news to others waiting as well...

Guest me maniac

Has anyone on the OOP waitlist heard yet? >: Do you know if they are calling all those accepted off the waitlist, or perhaps they are just mailing out acceptances?

Guest McGill03

me maniac,

I'm on the waitlist as well, and have not heard. Judging by the messages posted on the forum from last summer, OOP applicants heard as late as the end of July, and were notified by phone.

Guest me maniac

Thanks, McGill03,

So you are on the waitlist too? Judging by your name, I would have thought you were going to McGill?! Are you in anywhere else?

Good luck to you!

me

Guest McGill03

me maniac,

I just finished my undergrad at McGill -- that's where the name comes from.

No, I'm not in anywhere else... Waiting sucks!

Best of luck to you too!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest stargazer4

I just got an email from Susan today. I was on the in-province waitlist and I'm a 3rd year applicant. Good luck to everyone!

Archived