Premed 101 Forums

Selection for Interview

Guest Jazzey

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone knows how people are selected for an interview - that is, what application submission materials are looked at.

Specifically, I'm wondering if I write about an experience in my essay, if I should also include it in the extracurricular activities section of the online application. Will both be looked at to choose who gets an interview? Or just one? If I know that both are, then it would seem more practical not to mention things that I write about in my essay in the extracurricular section, as they don't give you much room and I am having trouble fitting everything in...

Thanks!

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<dateline>1118447040</dateline>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

(This post is missing and can not be restored)</pagetext>

</post>

<post>

<thread>Y</thread>

<threadtitle>Summer school grades?</threadtitle>

<threadviews>0</threadviews>

<threadsticky>0</threadsticky>

<poll></poll>

<username>physiology</username>

<dateline>1068599460</dateline>

<title>Summer school grades?</title>

<pagetext>Hi,

I'm out of province (BC resident) and my best two full years are below the 3.5 cut off. However, once you factor in my 4 summer school courses, it's higher than the cutoff.

So my question is, will I automatically be disqualified because my best two full years (excluding summer school) are lower than 3.5?

Guest Jerika81

Based on what U of C says on their website it looks like they won't count your spring/summer couses when calculating your GPA. Here's what it says:

Full-time Study

Normally, full-time study is considered by the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Calgary to be a minimum of eight half-courses or four full-courses taken between September-April of an academic year (most accepted students will have taken ten half-courses or five full courses/year). Usually, courses taken during the spring and summer sessions are not counted in the full-time study requirement nor the grade point average but are considered as indicators of the student's academic background. The two years of full-time study do not have to be consecutive nor do they have to be the most recent two years. Students enrolled in advanced degrees may count full-time study in their advanced degree provided at least one-half course has been completed and a grade has been awarded during the year(s) of full-time study.

Hope that helps.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there physiology,

Before you spend the money on the Calgary application, I'd give the Admissions Office a shout and have your situation clarified. What Jerika81 has posted are the facts and look like they would apply to you, if you are an undergraduate student (I believe graduate summer courses are counted, if they are taken as part of a graduate degree). To wit, a bunch of years ago, when I sent in my first U. Calgary application, I had only one of my two years which were above the 3.50 cut-off. I found out then, after spending the money and formally applying, that this cut-off is strict and my application was rejected at that point.

Good luck, and I hope you receive some positive news,

Kirsteen

Guest marbledust

Kirsteen is right. Calgary is very strict about the GPA cut-off. They are also very strict about not counting undergrad spring/summer courses in your GPA.

How do I know? I was in the same situation about 4 years ago when I first considered applying. I had taken 2 courses in each of the spring and summer semesters (which is full-time). But alas, I was told they wouldn't be used when I inquired at the med school. I even tried to find out if I could get some kind of waiver or something. Nope. I was advised not to waste my time or money applying but to do another year of undergrad if I was serious about applying.

It's disappointing, but it's better to find out now and devise a plan to address any GPA issues you have. This way you won't waste your time, money, and, maybe more importantly be even more disppointed when you recieve a rejection letter. I thought it was the end of the world and med school to have to go back and do even more courses to raise my GPA. My personal opinion is that when you look back later on, that one extra year won't really make that much of a difference when you are a doctor. Others might have differents views, but in the end, you have to decide what is best for you.

Good luck :)

Guest marbledust

I'm glad to hear you are applying, it would be nice to have you!

I am enjoying the program very much so far. I have to admit that I am still a little awe-struck somedays that I am actually here. It's not as scary as I thought it would be. I was quite anxious in August, but I have finally calmed down..it only took 3 months :)

Unfortunately, one of the best things about the program here is turning out to be my biggest challenge. It's far less structured than I thought it would be and we have more free time than I would have thought. Which for someone like me, who at times lacks motivation in the studying area, can be a dangerous thing. I almost wish the lectures were mandatory. But the flexibilty is a definite plus.

Fortunately my partner, who graduated from med school a few years back, has become somewhat of a task master and has taken it upon himself to instill good study habits in me. He has me on a strict schedule. This has me somewhat resentful because he was far from a model student himself, but it appears to be working for me so far. This also means I relish the evenings he is on call because then I can slack off :lol

Guest physiology

Ouch - okay, I wish I had read this earlier, but, I already sent in my cheque today with Express Post. Well, since I've gotten thus far already, I think I"ll just send it in anyhow. 2 out the 3 referees have already sent in their letters.

There is a section in the application where I can explain low grades, so I'll harp on that and ask them to read my essay, extra-currics, and employment history before they flat out reject me. If they read those, I won't feel ripped off once they cash my $85 application fee.

But thanks for your input! The emailing system in the online application doesn't seem to be very expedient in returning replies! You guys are great. Thanks!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again marbledust,

It sounds as though your system is fairly similar to that of McMaster, with its large degree of flexibility. Although, unlike students at McMaster, you guys do have a fair number of formal exams, correct? Good luck with the studying for them. You'll probably appreciate your taskmaster all the more, once you've got your degree in hand! ;)

Cheers for your wishes,

Kirsteen

• 1 year later...
Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>Y</thread>

<threadtitle>Dates for Ongoing Activities/Awards????</threadtitle>

<poll></poll>

<username>Magnolia</username>

<dateline>1068497640</dateline>

<title>Dates for Ongoing Activities/Awards????</title>

<pagetext>hello,

...just completing the online application and wondering what people have been putting for the end date of ongoing activties- perhaps the expected date for finishing?? As well, what have people been putting for the end date of awards that don't really have an end date? Any input welcome!!

thanks and good luck to everyone :P

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<threadtitle>Selection for Interview</threadtitle>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

<pagetext>(This post is missing and can not be restored)

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<threadtitle>Dates for Ongoing Activities/Awards????</threadtitle>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

<pagetext>(This post is missing and can not be restored)

Archived