Premed 101 Forums

will dental research harm my medical application?

Guest toothy1985

Guest toothy1985

Hi, So I have this dilemma....I am applying to dental and medical school as some of you do, both, next year. I have done some research-one is in the field of cognitive psychology, the other is neuroscience and vision. And now the dilemma-I am working at Uft Faculty of Dentistry this summer with a professor doing dental research, which is primarily based on lab-work with chemicals and such. If I were to put this in my med school application, wouldn't the committee question my interest in dentistry as opposed to being totally dedicated to pursuiting med school? Any advice as to how I can make this look 'acceptable'?

Thanks a lot!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

If you insert this "dental" research into your application's list of activities or essay then yes, there is a chance that an interviewer will ask you about your motive for doing it. That being the case, if you decide to include the research you should be prepared to field a question about your rationale for participating in it. In terms of responding to such a question, that might be a little tough, and you'll have to think about it for a good bit to come up with a satisfying answer; however, that's one one of the prickly bits about applying to both schools.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest toothy1985

hey Kirsteen, thanks for the reply... i really gotta come up with something that might explain this, and make it "look good".

thanks though.

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

who are you working with? Santerre?

to be honest no one gives a @#%$ about research unless you got papers published. Even then no one cares, coz you done it anyways.

you will realize that most of the stuff you did in undergrad, IS WORTH NOTHING!!!!! NOTHING AT ALL....

And you will look back and regret that you didn't go party with your friends when they called u, picked up that hot chick and actually get laid....instead of being at home and studying because you are afraid you won't get in....

Everyone eventually gets in, your time will come, don't stress the small stuff...or it won't and you'll realize your true calling and look back and really run yourself into the wall coz you were chasing something you really didn't want.

Archived