Premed 101 Forums

In Prov Waitlist

Guest happy2bme

Guest happy2bme

how many are inprov waitlisted this year?

Usually how many people get off the inprov waitlist?

The stats from other links just show how many people reject their offer but not how many are oop vs. inprov. I assume more oop give up their spots than inprov, am I wrong?

I know all oop are waitlisted this year.

Guest lots of thinking

Adele said that there 123 people on the waitlist- but she didnt say whether this was both, or just in province.....

thats all I know

8o

Guest squeegy80

It would be 123 for IP only, cause all 85 non-accepted OOP peeps are waitlisted. So 38 on the IP waitlist isn't possible.

Good luck to my fellow waitlisters!

Guest mountainsbeyondmountains

But why can't there be 38 on an inprov waitlist? Doesn't that make more sense than having a 123 on a waitlist when only 85 spots are available? Also, if there are 123 on the inprov waitlist, and 85 inprov were accepted, and approx 225 inprov were interviewed . . . doesn't that basically mean everyone (save 17) inprovince was waitlisted? I guess it's possible, but i'm still not convinced it makes sense. I know it may make people feel better to think that they were waitlisted rather than rejected, but it also limits their ability to move on with their lives (eg look for long-term jobs, register in grad school, etc), don't you think? These are just the workings of my mind, so I could be way off but figured i'd speak up in any case.

Guest lots of thinking

I agree- what your saying makes sense....

I was thinking the same thing.

but- who knows!!

I'm not putting any stock on being on this waiting list!

Guest cause2003

Hi folks I emailed Adele our questions regarding the waitlist and here's what I got back:

"There are 123 people on the Alberta list; we left everyone from out-of-province who was interviewed on their list. We have to maintain our 85% Albertan ratio so if an Albertan withdraws, that person will be replaced with someone from the

Alberta wait list. Ditto the non-Albertans. There is some variation in the number of people who come off the lists. For example, the non-AB list used to move a lot and for the last two years, it hasn't. We have no idea why. This year, because we used the algorithm to invite non-ABs for interview, we think it might be a different group so we think it will move more than the last two years. Not that we know anything - haha. As well, I think I mentioned that

we're trying to be prepared in case the class size suddenly increases so we've kept a pretty long list.

Adele"

Sounds like there might be a chance of a class size increase.

- Cause

Guest wylie348

Well, it is official - received my waitlist letter today. Pretty depressed, but obviously there are a lot of great applicants out there! Can anyone that was accepted maintain the foosball table list (Looks like maybe chenzy may be out?) for me - unless of course I make the 'leap' from the waitlist...

Without any knowledge of where we lie on the waitlist, it is probably best to not sweat like I did last Friday and just wait out patiently (if I can). Take care all, and especially those of you, like me, who went throught the anxiety of a long day without a call, when you have put your whole heart into getting into med school!

wylie348

Guest wattyjl

sounds like some OOPs are getting waitlist letters - out of interest, where are you located? i think some people might be from the toronto area but i'm too lazy to go an scan through previous posts looking for that info :P

also, were the letters expresspost or just regular mail?

thanks,

james.

Guest moxiekat

For those of you who have recieved waitlist letters - does it say where you are ranked on the waitlist? If not, is it possible to call Adele and ask?

Guest wylie348

The letters came regular mail - I live close to Calgary. No - you may not ask what position you have on the waitlist - Adele and the adcom make that quite clear. Sounds like Adele is getting enough calls as it is. Looks like we just have to hope for the best...

Guest apical meristems

Hey wylie,

I read your recent posts. I really hope that you make it off the waitlist. Good luck!

meri

Guest 0nsp

Add another to the in prov waitlist. I'm kinda disappointed, not because I actually wanted to go to Calgary (UofA and Queen's are my first choices) but because I thought Calgary was my best interview by far. I'm kinda worried about how the others went now. Although, I know a lot of people who were rejected at UofC, and got in at UofA. I hope I'm one of them.:(

Guest wylie348

Meri: Thanks for the words of encouragement. Looks like it is lottery time for me. The odds are better than the 649 though :)

Good luck to you and I certainly hope things work out for you at U of A!

Guest Fizz29

Add me to the waitlist too...blah. I'd be more excited if there weren't so many people on the waitlist!! I wonder if any rejection letters were sent out? I may be delusional but in the past I thought there was a good waitlist and a bad waitlist?...or is that just code for in-prov and OOP?

Let's hope more spots come available and lots of in-prov acceptees go to U of A! ;)

Guest Scarlett

Hello all!

I have been keeping updated on this ezboard since I applied to med school this year and even though I never participated in discussion I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who did...it was good to know other people were going through the same agony as me! :)

I thought I should finally bite the bullet and post that I too have been added to the in-prov waitlist at UofC...I was quite dissapointed at not getting accepted since I REALLY want to go to UofC, but c'est la vie right?

I am now waiting again to hear from UBC and Northern, but I am not getting my hopes up since the odds are slim at those schools for getting in as an OOP (well not for Northern...the odds are Northern are just slim period since they interviewed 400 people for 56 spots - yikes!)...

I also wanted to congratualte everyone who did get accepted - it is quite the accomplishment and I look forward to joining you all one of these days... :)

And so the waiting begins...I did actually have a question that someone will hopefully be able to answer - Does anyone know when we could start hearing about acceptances from the waitlist? I heard that acceptees had two weeks to get back to UofC, but is that 2 weeks from last friday or two weeks from May 15th? I'm holding onto my dream of getting into UofC by a thread so any info that could make the wait more bearable would be appreciated!

Thanks for listening!

Scarlett

Guest lookgoodinscrubs

Hi Scarlett,

The acceptance letters indicate that "a response is required within 15 working days from the date at the top of the letter (May 6)...".

Last year a friend of mine was accepted off the waitlist in late June. He received a telephone call from Susan as soon as the position became available.

Good luck!

LGIS.

Guest Scarlett

Thanks LGIS! I hope some people get offers to other schools that they prefer to open up some spaces... :)

Better yet, I hope that they add 25 seats to the class!

Here's to wishful thinking...

Scarlett

Guest pinkmango2005

Hi all!

I thought the whole reason all the schools were holding out until mid-late May to tell us if we were accepted/rejected was so that we could have ALL of our acceptances in front of us and make a decision based on having all of the information available to us. If Calgary expects us to make a decision within 15 working days of May 6th we're not going to have that info yet (U of A decision are May 27th and 30th I believe and Ontario schools May 31st).

Please correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't seem fair that we'll have to put down a deposit to hold our spot when we don't even know if we got in anywhere else. If someone could clarify for me that would be great. Thanks!

Guest Jerika81

True, most people will have to make the $100 deposit before they hear from other schools, and if you choose to go to another school you will lose that $100. But $100 is a drop in the bucket compared to the thousands (and thousands) of dollars you will pour into med school over the next few years.

Actually all schools make you pay some sort of deposit- if you look at previous threads you'll see that U of C's is one of the cheapest. A $100 deposit isn't going to hold you to anything, but $1000 might:)

Guest smiets

Pinkmango2005,

I don't mean to make light of your concerns but there are a lot of people on this forum who would give just about anything to be in your position right now.

Guest pinkmango2005

wow, well sorry for posting my questions then. I posted it here since LGIS mentioned the 15 days from May 6th in his/her post...bad idea I guess...anyways thanks for the answer Jerika...

Guest happy2bme

Don't worry pink, jealousy gets the best of us waitlisters sometimes! Keep Posting!

Although I'm really hoping you get in to U of A since that would open a spot on the inprov waitlist! lol

Good luck with U of A! and who knows maybe you'll find out earlier from them!

And we've all spent $100.00 somewhere along the way and have nothing to show for it, but you at least will have peace of mind knowing that come Fall you WILL be going to med school, location yet to be determined....I would just wait until the last week and maybe they accept creditcards over the phone so you could wait till the last day???

Guest mountainsbeyondmountains

Hi all . . . just heard through the grapevine of someone's brother who received a rejection letter (don't feel bad though, he's a sweet guy who interviewed at a number of places so i have faith he'll get in somewhere- besides I don't think Calgary was his first choice) . . . I was under the impression though that everyone got waitlisted . . . in any case, it was news so i thought i would post it . . .

Also, if anyone's looking for some good books to kill time (and kill the addiction to this website) . . . I recommend Complications by Atul Gawande and Doctors by Erich Sehgal . . . both are quite interesting and educational and describe the humbling experience of medical school and becoming a doctor and I think should really let you know if this is where you want to be and whether you're willing to repeat this application process until you get in (I know so many people who got in after two or three times applying).

Take care all . . . hopefully this'll be my last post for awhile (meaning I'm going to stop checking this site and move on with my life). Good luck once again!

Guest Keetcha

I 2nd the recommendation for the book Compilcations. Complications is a great book; an easy and interesting read covering various facets of medical life.

Archived