Premed 101 Forums

Consideration of Master's Students

Guest Jazzey

Guest Jazzey

Hi,

I'm planning to begin a 2 year Master's program this year, and am interested in applying to U of C. I am an OOP applicant. I'm wondering if anyone knows how I will considered - will my undergrad GPA and MCAT alone determine if I will get an interview? My undergrad GPA is solid, but not stellar, and if it is the main determinant of whether I get an interview, I am not sure if it is even worth applying. If this is the case, does anyone know what sort of GPA OOP applicants need to get an interview?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

I'm not sure what kind of credentials will actually get you an interview ;) , but I do know that here in Calgary you need to have at least 3.50 to be considered as an OOP applicant (versus Alta. residents who must have a 3.00 minimum).

Guest phantom8

I should stress that Calgary does NOT JUST look at your GPA and MCAT in order to determine who gets an interview. As it says on the Admissions section of the website (www.med.ucalgary.ca/admissions/), there are 6 different factors (GPA, MCAT, personal essay, extracurricular activities, employment history and reference letters) that are looked at to determine who gets an interview. As you can tell from this criteria, having a Masters doesn't help you outright, but if having a Masters means that you can bump up your GPA, improve your employment history, help you write a better personal essay or help you get a better reference letter(s), then it's definitely something that should help. And our class has a LOT students who have completed Masters or Ph.D's...

Good luck!

Archived