Premed 101 Forums

graduate students

Guest CHUBBY

Guest CHUBBY

anyone aware of how Calgary meds assesses graduates students and determines their gpa...are they put into a special applicant pool?

also what are the stats of OOP each year..how many do they accept?

thanks

chubby

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

As far as I know UofC does not place graduate students into a separate applicant pool. Their yearly GPAs are calculated just like those of undergraduates and as long as they meet or exceed the 2-year GPA cut-off then they proceed through the admissions process with all the other applicants.

Regarding out-of-province applicants, I don't recall UofC posting separate statistics in the past few years. Akin to the whole UofC class though, the out-of-province folks in my year seem to be great people with diverse backgrounds. :) As for the out-of-province quota, 15 are accepted each year. (The past couple of years there was something on the order of 600-800 out-of-province applications received fo those 15 spots.)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest CHUBBY

so they don't consider your graduate marks at all?

btw would you know what the approximate cut off for this year was?

thanks

chubby

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I think you might have misunderstood what I was saying, or I worded what I was saying poorly. UofC does consider your graduate marks. They may be part of the 2-year GPA calculation, and they will be part of your academic evaluation, once you've met the two-year cut-off.

As for UofC cut-offs, the only one that is officially posted is that which is required for the 2-year GPA. The cut-offs are 3.0 and 3.5 for in-province and out-of-province applicants, respectively. Also, these GPAs are calculated according to UofC's 4.0 point scale, which can be a little different from the 4.0 scales of other universities. This information appears on the UofC Admissions website:

admissions.myweb.med.ucalgary.ca/

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived