Premed 101 Forums

How formal/informal is O-week?

Guest dddd

Guest katwoman2003

The word on the street says that we should avoid jeans, but we can dress casual. May be somebody out there has a more official answer. From the photos I see on the class websites, students seemed to dress in the business casual way during the first day of school.

Guest sn0w0wl

Would the non-jeans/business casual thing apply for the whole three days? For some of the activities, runners etc sound like they would be more appropriate....?

Guest summervirus

I don't know too much because I'm not a UofC student obviously. But, I have a few friends at the UofC. From what I've seen and been told, the first day is more formal. I recall seeing the students dress up like interview-day on the first day of class. After the first day, it was casual/normal dress. I think an actual UofC student will be able to give you a better idea though. :D

Guest frogcanada

doh! I was looking forward to jeans, as I don't know what else I'll be able to find amongst all my boxes...

Can someone at U of C please enlighten us?

: )

Guest Jerika81

I would have thought it would give you an idea of what clothing to wear in the letter you got describing O-week. I know in ours last year it said to dress nice on the first day and then casual after that, and that it might be a good idea to bring a change of clothes on the Thursday or at least something you don't mind gettting dirty...:D I think the same probably goes for this year although if they didn't specify to dress nice on the first day then obviously not everyone will since most people don't read these forums.

Also, I think you get your photo taken for the class composite on Thursday morning, in case you want to do your hair or something.

Guest sn0w0wl

Hmmm... this is getting confusing. I checked out previous O-week photos, and 2002 looked casual and 2003 looked dressy (day 1, as Jerika81 indicated). What's everyone going to do? Like frogcanada, all my stuff will still be in boxes.

Guest sn0w0wl

Okay: here's what Adele said (email):

You don't have to get "interview spiffed up", but don't wear your Daisy Dukes!! Lean more to the casual than the business.

sn0

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I'm sure khakis and a shirt will be fine, for the first day at least (which isn't supposed to involve shaving cream ;) ).

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest ajoshi

Hey Guys

I was speaking with Adele today, and I asked about the "dress code". She said casual...get this, I was wearing SHORTS at the time and she said that was fine!!!

Take it easy

Anand

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I can see why you might be wearing shorts and why Adele thinks that would be fine. Man, it's hot here in Calgary! I had barely stepped into my place when I zipped off to the local Safeway to buy a fan along with the groceries! :)

A demain,

Kirsteen

Guest Lorae

and (as a side note) Safeway seems to be the only grocery store in Calgary... there's about 8 within a 1km radius of where I live. I've seen 1 co-op, but other then that nothing!

I miss my save-on-foods :(

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

The Safeway monopoly here is quite interesting. I guess there are no Loblaws around? The last time I saw so many Safeways was in the UK, and they certainly didn't look like the ones that I've seen here.

What part of town are you in Lorae? I think you've got me beat re: the Safeway proximity: I've only got 2 (no, maybe 3) relatively close by. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Lorae

heheh... well I might have exaggerated a bit, but there's 4 very close for sure :)

I'm just slightly north of the hospital (in one of the boardwalk apartments)... less then 10 minute walk!

See you tomorrow!!

Archived