Premed 101 Forums

U. Calgary renovation progress?

Guest Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

For those of you who are around the Health Sciences building, how are the renovations progressing? When I was there in March, it appeared that a good bit of the building was en route to being renovated, with a project completion date of August. Is the project still on track, i.e., is it possible that the building will be sparkly and ready to go in August, for the matriculation of the new class? :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Jerika81

Well, the school is slowly starting to be unrecognizable from the way it looked when you were here in March. It seems like things are progressing pretty quickly, and I'm sure they will move even faster come June when we're done classes and they don't have to work at night only. As far as I know they are still on track to have all the construction that will affect students done in August. Can't wait to see the finished product- especially the new student lounge!

Guest bananacreampie

What was the result of the student offices being destroyed? Will you guys be given any areas similar to those that you had??

Guest Jerika81

Unfortunately the offices are not coming back. We do have lockers now though and everyone will have a locker next year. The lockers are good for keeping coats etc. in, but you sure can't fit a microwave or fridge in them, which is something I miss about having an office. However, the swanky new student lounge should have all the fridge and microwave access we need come August!

• 1 month later...
Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I'm hoping to stop by there this coming weekend when I'm in town, but how's the Health Sciences renovation looking these days? Is the student lounge starting to come together? :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest summervirus

I was just at the Health Sciences yesterday afternoon. Yikes. Everything is still under heavy construction. I was talking to a few UofC med students and they said that they've been promised that everything will be completed by the beginning of August though. Yay. :)

Guest Kirsteen

Great! Thanks for the update, summervirus. At least the construction continues and is not, either, started, nor at a standstill. :)

How are you enjoying your time at UofA?

Kirsteen

Guest summervirus

Yupers, I'm enjoying my time in Edmonton. I'm originally from Calgary and I'm back for the summer. It's good to be home at last! :D I like the city of Calgary more than Edmonton -- but that's also because all my family is here!

Maybe we'll cross paths in August and we'll both be able to see who the person is behind the name! ;)

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there summervirus,

Will you still be around Calgary in August, doing some electives, I take it? :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest summervirus

Hi Kirsteen,

Yup, I'm doing some electives this summer and I'll still be around until the end of August.

I think you'll like Calgary. It's a great city and the UofC is also cool too. I have some friends that are at the UofC and the students seem to know how to work hard and have fun!

SV

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there,

I arrived in Calgary yesterday to do some condo-hunting and took a wee jaunt over to the medical school. It doesn't seem to be far from any part of downtown, at all. :) In any case, I had a look at the ongoing construction and spoke to one of the security folks. She mentioned that the student area is still slated to be complete by August. Good stuff!

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest bananacreampie

Hey,

Lorae are you still coming to Calgary tomorrow? I don't know what peoples plans are this week, but there was mention before of grabbing some coffe, while everybody is in town. How long are you here for Kirsteen? Is anybody else interested, maybe tuesday?

One month till school starts!!!

cheers, bcp

Guest Heidio

Hey there!

I would love to meet everyone sometime. If you do set something up for this Tuesday, let me know. BCP, you know how to get ahold of me. Should be free anytime in the afternoon or evening.

Heidi

Guest Lorae

I am coming tomorrow (monday), but my tuesday plans have changed drastically because my movers "made a scheduling error" :rolleyes

Unfortunately I can't leave my apartment tuesday :( My stuff is being delivered in the morning and my cable/internet is being hooked up in the evening. It's amazing how fast my schedule is filling up in these days before class! Who knew I could be so busy in a city where I don't know a soul ;)

If Tuesday is the only day that works for you guys then have a wonderful time and I'll catch you another day... otherwise wednesday and thursday would be fine for me and next week is pretty clear too.

If you PM me I wont be checking it until late tomorrow (at the earliest)...

bye for now

Guest katwoman2003

Is there any chance you guys would do lunch? I'm working evening shifts at the Children's hospital every night up till Wed:\ Although I have Thursday off....

Anywho let me know what your plans are because I would love to meet you all too! I can't wait!!! :P

Guest Lorae

since I'm losing my internet for a day or 2, can I give my cell number to one of you??

let me know and I'll PM it to you tonight or tomorrow before I disconnect my computer :)

Guest bananacreampie

Hey guys,

I don't think anybody has met as of yet, so no worries, we will figure something out. Lorae, I PM'd you.

cheers, bcp

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I had scheduled condo viewings for Saturday and Sunday, with a return flight on Tuesday. Since I found a great spot on Sunday morning, and signed on the dotted line, I rescheduled my flight to leave... in one hour. I'll be back in town sometime around July 25th, so it would be great to hook up with you guys then? :rolleyes

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Heidio

BCP, Lorae, Katwoman, and whoever is interested...

It would be great to meet sometime this week. Should we try for Thursday lunch? I'll PM you my cell phone number. Maybe that will be easier. Kirsteen, once you're in town later in July we'll have to do it all again! I know of a couple others that won't be arriving until then either...so we'll work something out!

Take care!

Heidi

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ctrain07

For those wondering about the progress of the construction, here is a link for a live web-cam that you can look at anytime. Unfortunately, you can only see the main area (with all the tables and chairs), but it gives a decent indication of where they are at right now

mywebcam.med.ucalgary.ca/medcam3.html

They'd better hurry up! :eek

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bananacreampie

Hey,

I was talking to Adele today and she didn't seem very positive about the renovations being done, I think things are getting a little bit behind schedule. Oh well, lets just hope everything is super awesome when it is done

cheers, bcp

Archived