Premed 101 Forums

Calgary electives in Toronto

Guest Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I was just in meeting with my boss this morning and he took me to the OR door and beckoned out a very nice chap--a new, second year Calgary medical student. My boss had only good things to say about him, which is great. Unfortunately, a student from another another medical school came through the unit last year and didn't create such a positive impression. Consequently, (and although I've told him that his sample size of n=1 is unacceptable), the unit is a little biased toward that school. In any case, it was nice to meet a fellow Calgarian in Toronto. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

As far as I was told by my boss, this medical student knew someone at UofC who had spent time in Toronto. The medical student's interest was piqued and he received a glowing reference from this UofC person, and so, a little bit of network support to get into that unit.

As with any other endeavour, I would assume that knowing some folks within the field may help to secure electives. Something to this effect was mentioned in another thread a little while ago, although I don't recall the forum. :rolleyes

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again,

FYI, I went in to visit the UofT Undergraduate Medical Education folks today to gather a bit of electives information. I had a number of questions, one of which was how our elective periods were viewed at Calgary, given that we are on a different time scale from most programs. Here's the scoop: for our first bank of electives (four weeks next July) we are considered to be third year medical students, thus electives available to third year medical students shall be available to us. For our second bank of electives in March/April 2006 and beyond, we are considered to be fourth year medical students. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest frogcanada

Hey Kirsteen

This rocks, as you might imagine, I'd like to be in the same city as my hubby for a few of my electives! (I also may be applying for Toronto residency positions, so I'm told that doing electives there could be important...)

Thanks

FC;)

CU in 2 weeks!

Archived