Premed 101 Forums

BCG immunization?

Guest Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

For our immunizations, our sheet doesn't say much as to what we need to have done after receipt of the results of our TB test. I just had some of that naughty tuberculin injected into my arm the day before yesterday and thus far, no evidence of a red welt. My inner-arm skin remains as flat as a pancake and a nice shade of Scottish blue. :) (My tetanus injected upper-arm, however, feels like it's been walloped with a baseball bat!) On some websites I've seen that a BCG immunization may be given in the "no-welt" case; however, what does Calgary wish us to do? Has anyone asked (before I go and do so)?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest bananacreampie

Hi,

All they are looking for is the negative reaction you have described above. They can then sign your sheet. They rarely do the BCG anymore, and once you've had it your Mantoux tests will be positive for life, which is a bit annoying.

When your doctor or nurse checks the arm in the next few days they will know if you need any further investigation.

My very white arm, actually bruised from the test, you should see them after I play volleybal :P

cheers, bcp

Guest Lorae

bcp is right. no one routinely does bcg's anymore unless you were certain you were going to be exposed (ie. if you were a TB physician in the north)... even then I've heard the immunization isn't tremendously effective plus you will always have a positive mantoux reaction - bleh!

Some hospitals have a policy they need to be done yearly, other hospitals leave it up to you... but what is recommended is that all healthcare workers have a mantoux test relatively frequently. I personally have one every 2-3 years or when I come back from overseas travel.

Guest Kirsteen

Thanks for that. :)

Perhaps the BCG immunization is more common in the UK? :rolleyes Some of the UK sites, in particular, seem to advocate the use of BCG in Mantoux-negative patients.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived