Premed 101 Forums

Ready for the next round?

Guest avisee

Guest Elaine I

Where? I've checked several times today, but can't seem to bring up the Admissions page. Will you please post the link?

Thanks!

Elaine

Guest Lorae

I can't load the page right now either. They're probably updating it... give it a day or two and I'm sure it will work.

Good luck to all the hopefuls for this year!

Guest avisee

Well, I've finished entering my transcript (which, by the way, seems so strenuous now that I've already been-there-done-that with OMSAS - not to mention, why is there no choice for non-clinical psychology courses when there's a distinction between commerce and business and economics etc etc??)

Is there any way to find out how Calgary will calculate my GPA? (On OMSAS, it automatically pops up for each term and your overall GPA calculation, but there's nothing on my Calgary application). I think I've figured out what my Calgary GPA *should* be, but the scale is a bit confusing and I'm near the cutoff so I'd like to double check to make sure I'm okay. When I enter my marks on the application transcript, the mark separations (eg, 100-97, 96-88 etc) don't seem to match up with the separations listed on the conversion scale in the admissions FAQ, so I have a feeling my calculation may be off...

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there avisee,

If I remember correctly, in previous years you could informally preview the Calgary application by pressing the initial "submit" button, or something along those lines. (I was able to do this.) In that preview, I believe the GPA was calculated and visible.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest avisee

Yes, that worked.

Hmm.. I only have a 3.52 for my best two years. Almost makes me wonder if it's worthwhile applying as an OOP, though.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

During the application process last year, UofC Admissions told me that the two-year GPA index was only used to whittle down the applicant pool. That is, it is one hurdle in the many hurdles of the application process. As long as you can jump the two-year GPA requirement then your application remains in the pool and you advance to the next stage of the process. That stage involves a more rigorous assessment of a number of different factors, each of which are weighted relatively equally: employment, reference letters, academic performance, MCAT, essay and extracurricular activities. If you think you may be strong in these other areas of the application, then you certainly stand a chance at winning an interview at Calgary. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest avisee

Well that certainly is great to hear, Kirsteen.

If I'm not mistaken, then, it sounds like Calgary uses the GPA mostly as a cutoff flag and no more. Does the GPA come back to haunt you later in the admissions process that you know of (eg, in ranking applicants post-interview)?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Calgary does use the 2-year GPA as a cut-off to reduce the size of the applicant pool, however they also use academic performance in the next two stages of the applications process, i.e., selection of candidates for interviews and selection of interviewees for the final class. At these two stages, the relative value of the academic performance is small, i.e., it is one of 5 criteria used to invite interviewees, and the lesser of 7 criteria used to select the class from the interviewees. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest frogcanada

avisee

I was one of those applicants that seemed to get 'stuck' by my GPA in past years after the interview stage. That is, my GPA would be good enough to get me an interview, so I thought (hoped) I was in the clear, as all of my other criteria were competitive (in my humble opinion!), but a couple years in a row, I didn't even get waitlisted after good interviews. Needless to say, it was frustrating.

But I kept applying (and didn't really change anything in the meantime) and I did eventually get in this year. So I think the take-home message is that Kirsteen's quite correct - that GPA is LESS important after the interview stage, in that they look at many more factors at that point, one of them being interview. It's pretty difficult to ignore a first-rate interviewee, and given that you got an interview, suggests that they don't believe your GPA would be a hindrance to you succeeding in their program.

Short answer - don't let your GPA scare you away from applying (mine was less than yours by the way, although I am an in province applicant)...

FC:)

Archived