Premed 101 Forums

Class Schedule

Guest Lorae

Guest Lorae

I'm so eager to start classes!! ;) Yet this post is about my planning to skip some of them :lol

The annual Canadian Cardiovascular Society Conference is being held in Calgary this year ( www.cardiocongress.org ). I went to it last year in Toronto and it was great!! I'd like to go again this year.

Two questions for current UofC students:

a) how soon do you know your daily schedule?? (to attend the conference I'd like to miss class October 25 & 26).

B) are there any ways to apply for conference funding??

Guest Jerika81

Hey Lorae,

You should get your schedule for most of first year within the first week of classes. It is somewhat rough and things can change, plus your small group will be scheduling things in addition to what is on the rough schedule, but you can always tell your group leader when you will be away.

As for your second question, I have no idea.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest BannetJ

hey Jerika81 and other moderators

you guys and gals talked about the class schedule and how that on any given weekday, classes usually take up half a day only. I was wondering in light of this then, do you find that when you are studying for your exams, you have to sift through additional texts and create your whole notes to supplement the class material? Or is the material presented in class sufficient for examinations?

thanks very much:D

banj

Guest Jerika81

It all depends on how you like to study and how good of a textbook you can find.

The exams are supposed to be based off of what we learn in lecture, so you shouldn't "have" to use a textbook. However, sometimes you might feel a topic was not explained very well in lecture or simply want a second way to approach the material- in that case you may want to get one of the recommended textbooks. Some of the recommended books are extremely useful, such as in the CV course. Other times there is no single textbook that really reflects what is being taught in the course, and so it isn't as useful to have a text. I don't think I had to buy any books during the first P for M course. One thing I would recommend buying at the beginning of the year is a basic human physiology book. That way even if you don't buy any texts for a certain course, you still have a resource for the physiology. I didn't clue into this until renal last year and I think it would have been really helpful to have my physiology text right off the bat.

Also, sometimes you get really nice classmates who summarize chapters from the recommended text and e-mail it to the whole class, and you can often find additional notes and study material from people in 2nd year if you still want more to study from.

Guest Lorae

Any recommendation for your favorite physiology text??

I don't have the illusion that I'd do any pre-reading (I'm planning on enjoying my last few days off :P )! But, I am a compulsive "shiny-new-textbook" buyer and would love to buy a present for me...

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Lorae,

I think there were a few recommendations for some such texts in the textbook review forum? :rolleyes

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest bananacreampie

Hi,

Hearing that, I am glad I kept my physiology text from a few years ago, it is general, but I like it, I'll just have to dig it out. I still have my anatomy text as well, very colorful.

Guest Lorae

Thanks kirsteen, I already browsed through the reviews. I'm thinking about Guytons, but am wondering if it's the one that is specifically recommended by U of C.

I'll probably just wait until o-week and see the list they give us.

:)

Guest Kirsteen

Hey again Lorae,

The Guyton text seems to be a universally recommended one. I think I'm going to give that a shot, but won't be hitting up Amazon until after I've arrived in Calgary. That will be one less book to lug cross-country. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Jerika81

I got Silverthorn's Human Physiology- mainly because one of my good friends recommended it, and when I checked in the bookstore they had one used copy for only $50, so I figured it was meant to be.:D

Archived