Premed 101 Forums

Parking?

Guest Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Does anyone know what the parking situation is like at the Foothills? Do medical students have any sort of parking privileges, e.g., can we buy parking passes? More than likely, I'll live downtown and either drive the car to school each day or take public transit.

Also, on cars, is the rushour traffic in Calgary anything like that here in Toronto, i.e., horrendous?! :) How long would it take to drive from downtown Calgary to the Foothills each day? (I took a cab from downtown to the Foothills for my interview, but was a little preoccupied with thoughts that had zippo to do with timing the ride.)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest bananacreampie

Hi,

Parking is a definite downfall of the campus being right at the hospital, however, I really don't believe any other school really has a better situation. There was another thread on this topic earlier, but generally there is some street parking if you are willing to walk ( and can find it), there is pay visitor parking, which is very costly, I believe, there is a lot a little ways a way that has a shuttle to bring you up to the front doors and that is about it. There are no special parking privaleges for students, all of the passes are reserved for staff at the moment. Some days I park in the top floors of the parkade and have never been caught, but I wouldn't want to make it a habit (just for those days you really need to drive).

From what I have heard transit from downtown is pretty good, hop on the C-train to Lions park station, where you then catch a 5-min transfer bus right to the doors of the med school. This would be nice in winter, to just avoid dealing with a vehicle all together. Downtown to Foothills is also a doable bike ride in nice weather.

Also in terms of driving, maybe there will be a few people downtown, and some carpooling can take place?

cheers, bcp

Guest Kirsteen

Thanks for those details, bcp. Carpooling might be a neat idea. Are any other 2007's considering living downtown? :)

Also, I'll be heading to Calgary to house-hunt around the first or second weekend of July. If anyone's around and would fancy heading out to grab a wee bite o' lunch or something, let me know. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Lorae

My move-in date is july 5... so I will be around and looking for new friends ;)

When it gets closer to your visit, I think we should try to organize something - I'm sure there will be a few of us in calgary by then!

Guest Heidio

Hi there girls.

Gladly I would meet up with you while you're in town in July. Let me know when you're here and maybe we can set something up!

Cheers,

Heidi

Guest Lorae

The waiting is so painful!!

I'm addicted to food... and I'm leaving all my friends in edmonton :(

Since we already have a thread devoted to all our sporting interests (I'm in for hockey, hiking, biking, camping, possibly dragon boat racing, and any golf lessons anyone wants to give me) I'd like to start a thread about all the foods we're addicted to so we can know who to call to go eat....

:D

So... my favorites include (but are not limited to):

dry red wine

cheese

bread

indian

malaysian

thai

vietnamese

SUSHI!!

lattes

donuts

moroccan

fondue

italian

greek

SUSHI!!

cheese

:smokin

<burp>

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there,

Great idea, Lorae. :) I think you've pretty much covered the list in terms of gastronomy! I'll second you on the following though: wine, Indian, Italian (I recently managed to perfect a dish--funghi assoluti--from one of my fave Toronto Italian joints (Terroni): parmesan-coated oyster mushrooms, baked, then served over baby arugula with old balsamic and tasty olive oil. As for the lattes, I don't think I can live without them. This was detected by others a short while ago, apparently, when I received one of those Francis Francis capuccino machines for a prezzie. It's coming with me to Calgary, so you can stop by for a latte anytime--or maybe I should bring it to the Health Sciences Building. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest katwoman2003

I can't cook, but I do love Malaysian, indian, japanese, greek. I don't drink, but I sure like the cheese:) There's a place called "Living Room" in Calgary where you can get some good cheese or chocolate fondue...just FYI:b

Guest bananacreampie

Hi,

I feel like all I have been doing this summer is eating. And I am definitely addicted to food (can you tell from my name :b ). Yesterday I had Thai for lunch downtown, but one of my favorites is Open Sesame. I wonder what the student lounge at Health Sciences that they are just building will be like, maybe we can get a little coffee/latte corner set up? I get hungry just writing this message.

We will for sure have to get a group together in July,

cheers, bcp

Guest Jerika81

So weird...in the class of 2006 we had a "ladies night" at the living room way back at the beginning of the year. It was a great time, and the chocolate fondu was sooo good. But all the guys stopped hitting on us when they found out we were all med students:lol

BCP: where did you go for Thai? I went to the Thai Chili House a few weeks ago and it was awsome!

Guest bananacreampie

Hey Jerika,

We went to the Rose Garden down on Stephen Ave, a tiny place, but it had good food.

Re: the living room, I was watching an episode of med students, and a resident was talking about the dating scene, she joked when at bars if she mentions she is a doctor the guys usually don't believe her or just walk away. Sad, hey?

Oh well, can you guys believe that June is almost over!!

Guest katwoman2003

Re: guys walking away from med students... they are such wimps:lol

As for Rose Garden. I went there for a b-day party and I agree the food was good.

As for Chocolate Fondue. During my undergrad years we used to have a Friends and Fondue night (where we would watch Friends on TV and make our own chocolate fondue). We should have a regular fondue event too! :b

Archived