Premed 101 Forums

UA vs UC??

Guest BannetJ

Guest BannetJ

Hiyall,

I was just accepted off of the UofC waitlist, but am holding an acceptance at the UofA already. I was initially set on going to edmonton, even if calgary accepted me later on. But the more I think of UofC, the more attractive it sounds: 3 year program, optional anatomy classes, no PBL :D ). So, I'd love to hear what everybody thought of each of the two schools.

Thanks

Guest summervirus

Hewwo,

Congratulations!

Several of my friends have asked me similar questions. UofC is cool and I definitely agree that there are lots of perks to the school and program! :)

There was a discussion about this very topic last year:

p084.ezboard.com/fpremed1...=122.topic

And, just to offer my two cents, I think that it's not possible to make a bad choice. Either school will give you the education you need to be a good doc. But, I suppose the "better" school really depends on you as an individual -- whether you like more/less independence, if you like 3 years more/less than 4, etc.

Guest Cowgirl Jenn

Hey BanetJ,

Congrats on your multiple acceptances!! Are you an Albertan resident? I agree totally with summervirus in that each school will suit different people's needs. My friend attends UofA and from what I've heard, UofA tends to favor the more self-directed approach to learning (ie: independant learning similiar to that of undergrad), whereas at UofC students often work together and work through different topics together in a "see than do" approach involving more exposure in a clinical setting earlier on.

Congrats, and good luck with your tough choice!

Guest BannetJ

hi summervirus, thanks for the link to last year. i certainly agree with you that regardless of which school i ultimately choose, the education that i'll be getting 'll be pretty decent. i guess the factor that will be the determining point then is my suitability to each of the schools. my question is then about the curriculum and the impact it has on practising medicine when we graduate (yeah, :D ). for example, with anatomy being not emphasized at uofc, would that be a disadvantage if i were to be a surgeon or radiologist. on the other hand, is the heavy emphasis of basic sciences at uofa that relevant to practising medicine?? also, i was wondering which of the schools spoonfeeds its students more? (i have to admit i am not much of a 'search on the internet and answer these questions type of person' :rollin !!)

finally, how are the exams scheduled at each of the schools? (i heard that at uofc, usually there is only one exam at a time and so you can concentrate on that one only. how about uofa).

thanks for all your inputs, summervirus and cowgirl (in response to your question cowgirl, i actually lived in calgary for a while. this makes the choice even more difficult than if both edmonton and calgary were foreign to me. should i choose somewhere familar or be adventerous and try something new. :eek .

Guest bananacreampie

Hey BannetJ,

I have empathy pains for you, earlier this spring I was forced to make the same decision between U of A and U of C, not an easy one !!!. It's a curse to have 2 great schools in this province :P . Anyways, I ended up choosing U of C, although, there are so many positives to both schools, U of C had the program I liked and the city I liked (although, I know I am going to envy those summer breaks people get up at U of A). Oh well, like summervirus said, you will be happier where ever you go, but remember you will also have regrets where ever you go, so neither decision is a "better" one, except for you. Message me if you want some more info on my decision.

cheers, bcp

Guest BannetJ

hey bcp

i'd love to hear (well read) how you reached your UofC decision. it sounds like though you have thought about it a great deal and so, I'm sure you will be very happy there :D .

thanks ahead for your response

Guest Cowgirl Jenn

Hey BannetJ,

Just came across your response to my question, I hadn't been back to this "thread" in awhile....have you made a decision yet regarding which school to attend in the fall? If you haven't yet decided, I'll wish you luck once again for your tough decision coming up.

Jennifer

Guest ctrain07

Isn't it great when one school accepts you, and the other flat out rejects you?!?! Then you have no difficult decisions! :P

See you folks in Cow-town in less than a month!!!

Guest Cowgirl Jenn

Yah I was flat out rejected on my home turf. %%WORD7% you will love Calgary if you don't already....as much as I want into medicine, I dread having to leave Calgary one day!!

Archived