Premed 101 Forums

Cars and drivers licenses

Guest Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I'll be bringing my car out to Calgary with me and stemming from this are two questions: 1) for how long is an out-of-province driver's license good in another Canadian province: 2) for how long is an out-of-province plate good in another province? Has anyone faced this situation and uncovered some relevant info? If so, I'd love to hear it. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hey Kristeen, I think you have to check with your home province because each one is different. I am from BC but I did three years at the UofA and the deal was that as long as I was a student I could keep my drivers license in BC. My insurance was the same (although I did pay an out of province fee). I don't know if that helps at all but that's how it worked for me.

Ciao

Guest Lorae

Not that I would suggest something less than legal... but I heard that if you have out of province plates you don't have to pay any parking tickets you receive in alberta

(**disclaimer: I have NO idea if that's true)

but... I heard it from one of the 1st year med students who was welcoming us during interviews :eek he said that's how he deals with the parking situation at the university...

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Lorae,

That's an interesting wrinkle. I doubt I'd want to be in the position to try to pull that off, though. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived