Premed 101 Forums

Class of 2007 - who's in??

Guest Lorae

Guest Lorae

I've been lucky with thick brown envelopes making their way to my mailbox, but I've decided on Calgary 100% - no looking back!! WOOOHOO!! I feel so much better having made my official decision! :rollin

So who else is sure they are Calgary-bound!! We're going to be classmates. YAY!

:)

I'll be moving soon (from Edmonton... but I'll have no problems cheering for the Flames!!).

Can't wait to meet you all!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest luch

I have also made my final decision and Calgary it is! I also live in Edmonton at the moment (but I'm moving to BC for the summer before making my way back to Calgary). I look forward to meeting you Lorae (and all the rest of the class).

Ciao

Guest Heidio

Hi Lorae,

Thanks for finally posting something like this! I am in for sure and I look forward to meeting you! Glad you picked Calgary, it should be a great class!

Heidi

Guest katwoman2003

I don't know who y'all are, but I'm going to be in your class too! What are you guys planning to do about textbooks?

K

Guest Lorae

Textbooks... the number one thing that could be most important *or* the biggest waste of money :rolleyes

My plan is to wait and see what they are recommending and the prices. I won't buy anything until we are actually learning the material and I won't buy them unless I think I need more in-depth reading (in some cases I bet the notes will be pretty comprehensive).

I think it comes down to how you learn. I've heard that it's a good idea to study from condensed review books rather then texts, but I plan to buy texts for areas that I find aren't my strengths.

I'm sure we'll be able to get good tips from students in 2nd year as well!

Guest sn0w0wl

Count me in!! I'm moving from S'toon (though I'm originally from Van/Vic), and will arrive the night before orientation starts after defending my MSc thesis THAT MORNING! Hopefully I'll have a lot to celebrate...

Can't wait to meet all of you and put some faces to the nicknames!

sn0

Guest Ian Wong

Hold off on the books. It's not worth buying any until you get to class. Your second years will undoubtedly have some sort of a Recommended list of books (which frequently is quite different than what your faculty recommends you to use). At UBC, and I assume most other med schools, there's usually a used book sale of some sort as the upper years try to unload books that they've used the previous year.

Ian

Guest katwoman2003

Just curious: of all my classmates here, how many of you are Calgarians? So what type of backgrounds are you guys from? e.g. career change, Masters, PhDs, etc.?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

So far, Calgary's the only school that's shown some outright love, so count me in the class of 2007, too. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest sn0w0wl

Hey Kirsteen--Glad to have you here. Will you wait to see if there is any waitlist movement elsewhere (eg. UBC) before finalizing? (Did you have your eye on one school in particular?) I'm guessing there will be a lot of shuffling in the next few weeks...

Oh and hey, if there are any climbers out there I'd love to meet ya! (I'm going to miss our free climbing wall at the U of S.)

Guest Lorae

I'm changing careers from nursing to medicine (crossing over to the darkside as some would say :evil ). I can't wait to begin the transition!!

I'm not a climber, but I love camping! And I am a beginner backcountry hiker (beginner = nothing too steep). I'm not ready for anything like berg lake. I'd be interested in starting some biking as well, but again I'm not too sure how good my "uphill" muscles are - I'm pretty deconditioned right now.... hmmm... maybe one of my classmates will be a kinesiologist ;)

Can't wait until o-week!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there sn0w0wl,

Will you wait to see if there is any waitlist movement elsewhere (eg. UBC) before finalizing? (Did you have your eye on one school in particular?) I'm guessing there will be a lot of shuffling in the next few weeks...
I will wait until all the cards fall before I undergo all the nasty needle sticks for Calgary, but for now, I'm psyching myself up for my Calgary-required Varicella shot. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest luch

Hey snowowl, I have climbed quite a bit, but never on a indoor wall. I grew up in Castlegar (southern BC) so I have done lots of climbing, camping and (my favorite) backpacking. Hey Lorae, backpacking is great, I'm actually planning a five day trip into the Rockies in July, I can't wait.

I finished my undergrad last year at the UofA. I since have been working full time for an inner city organization called DOT for HAART (Directly Observed Therapy for Highly Active Anti-Retroviral Treatment). This is a great program that provides HIV medications to patients everyday, but we do so much more like counseling, outreach etc. Anyways my last year has been extremely busy. I also spent a month volunteering in Honduras, as well as running the needle exchange in Edmonton one day a week.

That's a little about my background.

Ciao

Guest bananacreampie

Hey Guys,

I've decided U of C as well. I am from Calgary and just finished a kinesiology degree like heidio. It sounds like it's going to be a great year, and we will hopefully get to do lots of trips out to the mountains together. U of C main campus has a climbing wall, but there is also one down 16th ave called Strong Hold that I like. One of my friends who is in 3rd year at U of C used to go climbing every monday night with a big group of people, I can't wait.

talk to you soon, nerissa

Guest katwoman2003

Thanks for the sharing guys! I'm a pharmacist currently working at Children's Hospital in Calgary. I had three years of experience with Peter Lougheed Centre before that. Did a little volunteer trip in Peru last year and that was inspiring. I don't think I'm as athletic as the Kinesiology folks, but I do have a heart for volleyball and basketball. Right now I'm trying to put in as much tee time as possible for golf before school starts. I heard that hockey is big at U of C, so may be I should start skating lots:)

I got a lot of advice from residents/med students about books and the Toronto MCCQE notes (www.mccqenotes.com/) seem to be very popular and useful. The website said that there's a large group ordering option, so do you think our class would be interested in that? Or should we just share the library copies?

K

Guest bananacreampie

Pharamacists, nurses, kinesiologists, etc...sounds like we could almost already open our own little health center. I'm a little worried about the hockey too, I can't skate at all. However, that's cool there is some interest in volleyball, I know there are evening intermurals that we could join. Last fall when I was playing soccer one of my games was against a group of first years who made up a team together.

cheers, bcp

Guest Lorae

I am really interested in the hockey... but only if they *really* do take people who can't skate and are out of shape :)

if things don't work out for me on the ice I'm POSITIVE I will make a great beer-drinking hockey fan in the stands!

Guest Spicy Aam

Hey guys!!

Well, I'm almost 95% sure that I'll be joining everyone at the great U of C Faculty of Medicine this fall. I'm really excited!!! I guess I'm one of the younger few who hasn't completed a degree yet. I can't wait to meet some of the 1st class talent on this board!

As for all the activities, I'm really open to trying everything I possibly can (at least within limits). Never played ice hockey, but I'm looking forward to trying it out!! And if that fails, I'll cheer our med 2007 team on! I'm all for racket sports (esp badminton, ping-pong and tennis). I'm also interested in swimming and wallclimbing (the U of C has great facilities).

So anyway, I'm looking forward to this August.

Spicy

Guest katwoman2003

Just out of curiosity: are there any students coming in with arts degree background? Are there any students who haven't gotten a degree yet?

For those of you who are nurses out there, are you going to keep working casual shifts during school? I'm debating if I should pick up shifts as a pharmacist when school starts...

Seems like us non-skaters are quite enthusiastic about trying out hockey. That's very comforting. If there are any other volleyball enthusiasts out there, I would be quite excited too.

Guest Heidio

Wow! I'd have to say we're going to be one interesting class! I really looking forward to meeting all of you. And for those of you who mentioned you can't skate....I used to coach figure skating. I'm sure I can give you all a quick rundown before our first hockey game. However, I have to admit I've never skated in hockey skates (no picks), so I may be needing a lesson myself! :D

I also have another question for all of you... I have recently found a 2 bedroom condo that is perfect location for the hospital. It's a 5 minute bus ride or a 15 minute walk up the big hill. It's right along the river (with it's awesome bike trails!), with a fabulous view of the river and Edworthy park (that has firepits, etc). The condo is also attached to Riverside fitness club, that has a gym, indoor tennis, and raquetball courts, pool, hot tub, sports bar, cafe, indoor golf. It's really awesome. Anyways, to make a long story short, I would really like to find another med student to room with. Please let me know if you are interested by sending me a message.

Thanks,

Heidi

Guest katwoman2003

I've seen that building! I don't need a place to stay right now, but for you condo shoppers out there, I do agree with Heidio about the wonderful facilities. The fitness centre is 24hr I believe. Where are you from Heidio? K.

Guest Heidio

Hi there katwoman

I'm actually from Calgary. Just finished my 4th in Kinesiology. I noticed you mentioned that you were/are a pharmacist at the Children's Hospital. I volunteered there for many years now in the patient playroom, so maybe our paths have already crossed. Thanks for the plug. The place really is fantastic...and I know of another med student that is seriously considering a place there too...so if (and hopefully when) I find a roommate, there will be a small group of us there!

Heidi

Guest bananacreampie

Hey,

I will vouch on the great location of this place, there aren't a lot of apartments that are within walking distance that have any amenities. I am also from Calgary, and I think a convenient location will take away some of the stress.

I am excited about the jersey's we get for our class, it was fun that the 1st years were all wearing them at the interviews. Heidi, I may take you up on those skating lessons, I am brutal, but I want to learn.

cheers, bcp

Guest katwoman2003

Hey Heidi: What time/day do you work at Children's? May be I'll look you up sometime. There's a pharmacist shortage there and my manager is milking a lot of shifts out of me before I start school:eek

Are you on morgage? What's the condo fees like there? I'm moving to a new condo in downtown this coming fall too.

You should set up some skating workshop for us because I'll definitely join:D

K.

Archived