Class of 2007 - who's in??

Guest Lorae

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Kirsteen

Hey there sports fans,

marbledust: let's get on court, then!

katwoman2003: right on! I'm definitely in for the golfing. Perhaps we can drum up a few foursomes within the class? I was playing in a couple of tournaments this past weekend with some pals (they're great golfers, I just enjoy the sport!) and they mentioned that there are some fabulous courses around Calgary. On a different note, it sounds like you just snagged some new clubs: what did you pick up--woods, irons, putter, the lot?? :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest katwoman2003

Whoa Kirsteen, I've never played in a tournament. I'm just a weekend hacker:b

I bought some king cobras irons, and big bertha woods. Although I probably drive my irons better than my woods :o I think I pitch decently though. Anywho, I'm still working on driving.

Yes I would love to hit the links and remember the golf seasons in Calgary are way too short... K.

Guest Makunouchi

Wow, you're all having so much fun already!

Lorae - yeah I'm not good with names either but your name stuck since the B&B place I stayed at mentioned someone that was staying there.

Me, I'm going to remain Makunouchi on these boards... :D , but I've PM'ed you.

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there katwoman,

I've never played in a tournament. I'm just a weekend hacker
Ehm, me too! My pals who are golfers invited me out to play--both tourneys were for charity and were scrambles. Lots of fun.

As to the clubs, how do you like the BB woods? Have you found many driving ranges around Calgary where you can practice with them?

Looking forward to heading to la links with you! :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest frogcanada

Hey all,

was it katwoman that said she was just a weekend hacker? But she has her own golf clubs and knows all the names? You're ahead of me! I've played a few times and enjoyed it, but I'm consistently inconsistent at it! Maybe I'll get better with the Class of 2007...:)

Has anyone done dragonboating here? I'm not sure if it's as big in Calgary as in Toronto, I've been on my hospital team for the past few months... and now I have to leave them midseason |I

It's unfortunately not great for my back, but it was alot of fun! Maybe there is another team sport we can do (as my ice skating is embarrassing for a Canadian..)

;)

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Maybe there is another team sport we can do
How about ultimate frisbee? All you need is a disk and a good field. Great exercise and a lot of fun... :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Heidio

Hey Kirsteen!

I would totally be up for ultimate frisbee! There is a big field right at the base of my condo complex that we could use. As well we could use any of the U of C fields. As for team sports, as long as we get organized by the beginning of Sept., we can sign up as a team with any of the intramural sports at the U of C. Ultimate frisbee included!

Heidi

Guest katwoman2003

Ultimate has the same rules as football right? I haven't played for a while but if we have a team I'm up for it too!

Frogcanada: I've done dragonboat before and it's the most intensive teamwork training and physical training I've been in. I love the fact that you have to be in the same wavelength as everybody in the team and it's the most beautiful sport to watch when everybody is in the same beat. In fact, the breast cancer society has an awesome women's team. They have a tournament called the C-Cup just for these women. Some of them are cancer survivors and they were kicking our butts!

Kirsteen: As for the BB clubs, I think I spent way too much $$, but I just LOVE the *ping* sound when I finally connect with the golf ball once in a while. Where as if you bought a Jazz club they all make this goofy *thug* sound :lol

K

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I'd totally be in for some ultimate-ing, late summer and fall. If we can strike up a team, let's do it.

As for the BB clubs, I think I spent way too much $$, but I just LOVE the *ping* sound when I finally connect with the golf ball once in a while.
It's a lovely sound! I'm just learning to hit with my fairway woods--this past year I consistently chose my 5-iron for second shots on the par-5s as my fairway foods were chronic worm-burners. ...but my GBB-II driver... She and I get along very nicely. (Thank the stars for that as I'm looking forward to finding some sort of a short game on the Calgary courses and driving ranges. :) )

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest C Train

Looks like wew have some golf fanatics in the crowd here.... GB-II drivers, Kobra irons, BB woods..... sounds like serious stuff! I'm still using my old Ping eye 2 irons, but I do have a BB Hawkeye driver and a Ping i3 fairway wood do go with those babies.

I can attest to the amazing golf around Calgary. While there is some world-class golf in the area (Banff Springs, SilverTip and Stewart Creek at Canmore, Heritage Point, etc.), I would recommend Kananaskis as the place to play. At $55, it is a bargain compared to the others mentioned (government ownership keeps the prices lower than the others, which are $130 and up!). I've played many of them, and Kananaskis is every bit as nice, and far better value.

www.kananaskisgolf.com/

Looking forward to organizing a round or two!

Cheers....

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there C Train,

Thanks for that link--the course looks incredible! Ontario courses are generally missing mountain backdrops. ;)

Are you going to be in the class of 2007?

I'm with you on the Ping I-2 irons. When I bought mine the golf guy recommended graphite shafts since "you are a woman". Not knowing any much better at the time, I took his advice. Harrumph! Turns out that I'd be better off with some steel shafts. If anyone's in the market for some graphite-shafted irons, come my way. :)

On courses around the area, is SilverTip public?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest C Train

SilverTip is indeed public, with green fees ranging from $99-160 depending on when you play. While I haven't played that one, I've heard it's spectacular.

And yes, I am in the class of 2007. Like you, I am a MBA alumni as well (just this year). Until I got my U of C acceptance, I thought I was actually going to have to get a "real" job :D

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there C Train,

Thanks for the SilverTip info. So did you get much use of your clubs while in the MBA program? (The lads in my program were seemingly always on the links. :) ) If I remember correctly, you're a UofC MBA alumnus, yes? Congratulations!

See you in August and if you're keen on it, let's book a round somewhere. It looks like we'll be able to gather together at least one foursome.

Kirsteen

Guest Jerika81

Hmm, I don't know what it is about U of C, but it seems like a large majority of the people that get accepted are very active and into sports.

Because of this we usually have a team for almost every sport you can think of. Each class has sports reps- you will meet the Fulmar sports reps during O-week probably, and you will learn about all the different sports teams you can join. There is of course hockey, and you do not need to have ever done any skating before to be on the hockey team. I didn't join the girl's hockey team last year because I've never been that in to skating, but now I sort of feel like I missed out because everyone seems to have so much fun with it, so I'm debating learning how to skate with the class of 2007...we shall see...

Other than hockey, I know last year there were soccer, basketball, ball hockey, volleyball, and ultimate frisbee teams. There was also a squash ladder.

As for golf, it's easy to set up foursomes because (don't get too excited here) U of C med students have their own private forums, and it's really easy to post a tee time and wait for the first 3 people to respond. (I know, more forums! yay!:b ).

There's also lots of hiking, skiing, rock climbing, mountain biking, ballroom and salsa dancing, and pretty much anything you like you're sure to find other people in the class that are interested.

But I have never heard of dragonboating- please explain, it sounds cool!

Guest katwoman2003

Hey C-Train: I went to Kananaskis last year and it was AMAZING!!! I didn't shoot very well but the scenery were SO well worth it. If you organize a trip I wanna join! I've played in Mount Kidd, so I would love to check out Mount Lorette sometime...

Kirsteen: How much are you selling the pings for? I must have a slow swing because I do better with the graphites:b

Jerika: Here's a link to the Calgary Dragonboat Races if you're curious what it's all about. Most of the teams are practicing now at Glenmore Reservoir so you may get a glimpse of them there:

www.paddlesup.ca/races/Calgary02.html

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Okay, so a trip to Kananaskis is definitely on a list of things for us 2007s to do! :)

Katwoman: re: the Ping I-3s, it's only recently that I've been ogling some Ping G-2 steel shafts. Since I got my Pings about 3 years ago, I'd forgotten how darned expensive those sticks are! If you're really interested in taking over the graphites send me a wee note and maybe we can chat more about it. They're fabulous clubs, but I definitely do need the steel--I think it's all those squash swings that have taken me out of the graphite market. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived