Premed 101 Forums

Options during mandatory clerkship rotations...

Guest Lorae

Guest Lorae

Quick question about clerkship:

when you're doing a mandatory block like internal medicine, is it 6 full weeks of general IM or do you get to choose a specialty area (like cardiology) for a portion of the block?? (or do you have to use your elective time for the specialties)

thanks for any info!

Guest Jerika81

I'm pretty sure IM is a 12 week block but I'm not positive. At any rate, I would assume that during this block you spend some time (say a week) in each of the major areas of IM. I don't know that for sure, but I don't know what else you would do for that 12 weeks if you weren't spending some time in each sub-specialty. Of course to get even more exposure you can also do your electives in sub-specialty areas.

Guest phantom8

IM is a 12 week block. You spend 4 weeks doing Teams on the Medical Teaching Unit, and 8 weeks doing sub-specialties ("selectives"). The selectives are divided up into one 4-week block (e.g. General Internal Medicine, Neurology, Nephrology, Cardiology, ICU) and 2 2-week blocks (e.g. pulmonary, rheumatology, geriatrics, endocrine, Infectious Diseases, GI, etc). Once again, you rank what you like the best and the office tries their best to give you what you want, although some of the selectives are more popular than others.

Guest Lorae

Thanks!!

Two of the areas I'm really interested in (for selective time) are cardiology and ICU... since they are both 4 week choices would that mean I'd have to pick just one?

If so, I guess I could narrow down my choice by doing observerships before having to pick selectives.

Hmmm... me thinks I'm getting a bit ahead of myself - should at least get through o-week before worrying about planning my clerkship :b

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Lorae,

I guess I too, could be placed in the "getting-ahead-of-myself" category as I'm thinking about similar issues to those that you've raised. :)

Another couple of questions to add to the pile: do Calgary students often do electives at UofA? Also, we have our first, four-week elective at the end of second year, but given that some medical schools' electives require students to be in third or fourth year in order to be eligible for certain electives, have any students run into problems? That is, have any Calgary students run into issues when trying to slot themselves into electives at other schools after first year?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived