Premed 101 Forums

"Principles for Medicine Course'

Guest Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

For those of you who have been through first year at Calgary, or for those of you who just happen to know about it, what is the "Principles for Medicine" unit all about? It lasts a month, covers 96 hours and we have an exam on it on Sept. 13th. Sounds serious, but the title for the course is a little vague. Does it cover ethics, etc., or am I way off track?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Lorae

Well I haven't been through it yet (seems like we'll be experiencing it together!! ;) ) I've been surfing the taphozou's website... bacs.med.ucalgary.ca/~taphozou/

click on curriculum, click on systems, click on POM, and you get the old timetable (mind you this is from 2001 so I'm sure it could have changed).

It seems to be a compilation of things that don't fit well into a specific systems block - some "basics" of the sciences of medicine: genetic disorders, obesity, inflammatory response, immunology.

I don't know if it's changed, perhaps someone in the class of 2006 can give us an update.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Lorae,

Thanks for reminding me of that website. :) I just took a wee wander through it again and the curriculum looks great.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest C Train

I have heard from past students that the POM course is a fairly "laid back" introduction course. Meant more to get you eased into the program in a fairly low stress manner. One student commented to me a while ago that it is the "easiest" of the systems courses that we will take - although opinions may vary on that one.... =)

Guest Jerika81

Yeah basically PforM is just a bunch of topics that are supposed to "introduce" you to medicine, and coincidentally they didn't fit well into any of the other systems.

So there's obesity, fever and sore throat, genetics, etc.

It is relatively easy although I found it a bit hard to study for since it doesn't flow at all. But the exam is pretty easy.

Archived