Premed 101 Forums

OOP apps

Guest steak

Guest steak

Hey all,

First let me say how jealous I am from reading all these excited messages about starting in the fall :(

A few quick questions for anyone with insight:

I'll be an OOP applicant this fall. My questions are:

1) with a GPA of 3.501 (really!), are my odds virtually nil as an OOP?

2) MCAT is 32M (12V,10,10); anyone have any idea how heavily the WS is weighted - will this be a problem?

Thanks!

Steak

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there steak,

Regarding your GPA, is the 3.501 converted to Calgary's scale? Also, how did you do on the types of courses recommended by Calgary, e.g., biochemistry, chemistry, physics, biology, etc.?

As to the MCAT, (and the other academics) they are evaluated holistically, so you may be fine on both accounts, i.e., the "M" on the WS will not weight unfavourably against you, since no specific weight is given to it.

How does your application look in terms of the essay, references, extracurriculars and employment?

Cheers and best of luck this year!

Kirsteen

Guest steak

Hey Kirsteen,

Congrats on getting in this year! :)

Yes, the 3.501 is converted to UC's scale. On the pre-req's I've done so far, the GPA is only 3.16. That seems horrible next to a 3.50 general cutoff, even though it's only 3% on their scale..

The rest of my package should be reasonably strong. Despite what the MCAT says, I can write a fairly good essay, and shouldn't have trouble with the refs, etc.

Definitely my GPA is what's holding me up.. Realistically, I'm just taking a shot in the dark with applications this year - there are a few schools to which I'll just barely be able to apply, and am hoping that one of them might come through so I don't have to do a whole extra year of courses.. At this point, Calgary, UBC, UWO, Northern look feasible (conditional on rewriting the MCAT in august to improve that M for western)

Considering the cost (forgone salary, tuition, time, etc..) of doing another year, I think it warrants applying to every school at which I have even a remote chance of admission..

Steak

Guest avisee

I'm applying to Calgary next year too as an OOP. The school/program definitely holds a lot of my interest at this point (though I'm not sure I can articulate why), but I'm very wary of the whole arbitrary applicant assessment.

Like you, I'm just over the GPA cutoff, about 3.53 by Calgary's conversion (you should seriously check that out, though, because I think most OMSAS GPAs will convert lower by the Calgary scale; my OMSAS is 3.6). My MCAT and extracurrics are solid but not phenomenal, so I'm not sure how hopeful I should be about the prospect of the interview. I'm hoping my saving graces will be a slightly unusual grad program and potentially a slightly non-average personality that hopefully will be expressed in my essay. At this point, I'm starting to like those schools with hard cutoffs because at least you know up front what your odds are. However, if lucky enough to get an interview at a more holistic school like Calgary, it may be a more beneficial assessment in the long-run (esp, in terms of philosophy).

Guest steak

Hey Avisee,

Funny.. seems like there are quite a few people in the "grad school/just skimming by on GPA/questioning themselves" boat.

I too did a grad degree (nothing unique - an MBA).

As an OOP, are you from Ontario? (I'm in Waterloo)

It's just starting to sink in that the upcoming application cycle is not all that far away! I'm wondering if other meds applicants might offer a different perspective on reviewing personal essays/etc than friends & family. What do you think? If I remember correctly, Calgary still has a personal essay that has to be submitted..

Getting excited (probably undeservedly so)..

Steak

Guest noncestvrai

I had a Calgary converted GPA (from grad school) of 3.9, and 30Q MCAT, I was rejected as an OOP. So all six criteria are important, so does the very explicit letter explaining my rejection says.

I would ask Kirsteen...she had what they wanted apparently!

noncestvrai

Guest coleflower

I would have to agree that they look at much more than the GPA and MCAT (3.91 Calgary GPA, 33Q MCAT). As an OOP I did get interviewed at Calgary but was turned down at the last step. Or maybe my people skills are just rotten :(

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

All pre-interview components of the Calgary application are weighted equally. Therefore, if your MCAT scores and GPA are top-notch, but you don't submit a strong essay, well-written and diverse set of extra-curriculars and work experience, and your reference letters are average, then you're going to have a tougher time making it out for interview. Don't underestimate (in a good way or bad) the power of those four other components! :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Lactic Folly

At our university's career centre, an advisor will look over your essay for a modest fee (wrote my essay too close to the wire to be able to take advantage of it though ;) ). I also remember that there was a thread on SDN where people volunteered to read over others' essays.

Archived