Premed 101 Forums

waitlist movement and deferral news

Guest XIAP

Guest XIAP

Hi all,

I just heard that my request to defer has been granted, so the in province waitlist should move a spot :)

Also, I have a friend here that got in off the waitlist only a few days after receiving the waitlist letter, so the in province waitlist has already begun to move. She was called by Adele, FYI.

Good luck!!

XIAP

Guest Jerika81

I'm pretty sure that your deferral will not have an effect on the waitlist. There will just be one less person in the class of 2007. If they accepted someone off the waitlist to replace you then there would be one less spot in the class of 2008 and people applying that year would have to vie for 99 spots instead of 100, which isn't really fair.

Likewise, there were people accepted into the class of 2006 who deferred. They will be in the class of 2007 but they didn't take a spot away from anyone applying this year.

Guest XIAP

Hi,

In the message from U of C, they said that they will be sending me a deferral form to sign, and that if I could fax it back then they could offer the spot up right away to the next person.

I think that most schools do take the deferred students away from the grand total from the next year. Not exactly fair, but with the number of offers exceeding the actual spots anyway (multiple acceptances, etc.) I think that it all balances out.

Just my 0.02 :)

XIAP

Guest Jerika81

Cool, it's good to know the official word. I guess I shouldn't make assumptions on life being fair:b . But you're right, it all balances out in the end and there are generally quite a few more than 100 people in each class anyways (116 in ours I think, but that # could change in August I suppose).

So what made you decide to defer? (just let me know if I'm being to nosy).

Hey Kirsteen,

I wish I had an answer to that question myself. I'm still struggling with the decision. I'm currently looking at Dal, UBC, and Queen's.

Just a note about my decision with respect to Calgary: I think that Calgary was is exceptional school with a very strong and particularly progressive program. I am starting at a slightly older-than-average age and having a fast track option was attractive; however, I thought that the three year time frame would not fit best with my personal goals.

L

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again lex,

I am starting at a slightly older-than-average age and having a fast track option was attractive;
Me too. :)

Regarding the three schools which remain on your short-list, do you have any leanings? Are you an Ontario applicant, or from another province? :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hey Kirsteen,

Regarding the three schools which remain on your short-list, do you have any leanings?

Unfortunately I don't. The schools are quite different and I've had a difficult time weighing them against each other. I'm not worried as I'd feel fortunate to attend any one of them - I'm just not sure yet which would be the best fit for me.

Are you an Ontario applicant, or from another province?

I'm from BC.

L

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again lex,

The schools are quite different and I've had a difficult time weighing them against each other.
Ack! It's a difficult decision. :) Do you mind if I ask which schools have made it on to your short-list?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Ciara

Hi lex,

I am also having a tough time making a similiar decision - although mine is only between Queen's and Dal. And I'm from BC and a bit of an older applicant as well! Are we twins? just kidding.

Anyway I would love to hear what factors are coming into play for your decision. Do you mind if I send a message to your inbox?

By the way - congrats on four acceptances - what a great achievement!

Thanks Ciara

Archived