Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

On 5/23/2021 at 12:43 AM, manitobamd7 said:

I’m with you there, could be an exceptional year! It’s extremely difficult to see how the impacts of COVID-19 and online interviews might play out on waitlist movement (the same applicants getting many acceptances nationwide?) - so far all indications seem to be promising!

I’ve been checking like every hour for days and days. Pain. 

42 minutes ago, 999999 said:

The uofm med 2025 facebook groupchat only has 77 members so far, and several of those are current med1 students. Waitlist homies and all others, what are your thoughts on this? Do you think that there may still be 30+ seats in the class for those on the WL?

It’s got to be that not everyone who’s been admitted and accepting a spot have joined the Facebook group, right? That being said it’s really hard to figure out how many are in each tier, how many spots are taken, etc. It seems like from past years Tier 2 didn’t hear until June, some well into June or even July.

As it seems that everyone who posted about being admitted from Tier 1 said they got in after the 5 business day mark from May 13, do we think they’re sending out a round of offers after every 5 business days? 

36 minutes ago, 999999 said:

The uofm med 2025 facebook groupchat only has 77 members so far, and several of those are current med1 students. Waitlist homies and all others, what are your thoughts on this? Do you think that there may still be 30+ seats in the class for those on the WL?

There are many reasons why it is hard to tell based off of the facebook group.

I think that there is a sizeable portion of the students who have been accepted but do not know about the facebook group. 

I saw on a post on /r/premedcanada that sometimes people may join a group (they weren't talking about u of m group) while deciding on which school to attend or may even join when on the waitlst (IDK what the rules are for the U of M facebook so they may or may not be more strict about who joins).

Like you said about ~11 of the members are current med 1 as well. 

Plus IDK really how this compares to other years, maybe this is a good sign for us or maybe this is just normal? 

3 minutes ago, manitobamd7 said:

It’s got to be that not everyone who’s been admitted and accepting a spot have joined the Facebook group, right? That being said it’s really hard to figure out how many are in each tier, how many spots are taken, etc. It seems like from past years Tier 2 didn’t hear until June, some well into June or even July.

As it seems that everyone who posted about being admitted from Tier 1 said they got in after the 5 business day mark from May 13, do we think they’re sending out a round of offers after every 5 business days? 

I'm not really sure. At first I thought so but another person posted (Shazam) that their friend got in before that 5 business day mark and another person on the May 20th (which apparently was before the deadline to accept). It could still be possible they are doing it in batches but I think it's also possible that people are just waiting to the deadline to accept/decline. 

7 minutes ago, DogMD said:

I'm not really sure. At first I thought so but another person posted (Shazam) that their friend got in before that 5 business day mark and another person on the May 20th (which apparently was before the deadline to accept). It could still be possible they are doing it in batches but I think it's also possible that people are just waiting to the deadline to accept/decline. 

I see what you mean, it could definitely be rolling admissions with people waiting for the deadline and letting the offer lapse, that does seem likely

13 minutes ago, DogMD said:

whats the deadline??

8 minutes ago, 999999 said:

oh ok, so basically waiting for those on the WL to accept/R their offers before we get ours?

Perhaps! It's all speculation really. I wouldn't be surprised if people take a few days to accept + maybe it takes a few days for the school to process the acceptances. Again we are operating under the assumption that there are 5 per tier, it's entirely possible there may be more per tier and that there is more movement that we are not hearing about. 

From the sounds of it there has been ~5 IP waitlist spots offered and I think there is a good chance that most of the IP waitlist have/are going to accept so it's fair to say those spots are likely not going to be the next ones offered up. I guess it depends on how many available IP spots there are right now. A more conservative guess might be that the next spots will be those which were reserved for appeals (which would line up with what manitobamd7 said about Tier 2's hearing in June). 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, 204hopeful said:

Has there been anymore waitlist movement? I’m on tier 2. 

Assuming that there is 5 people per tier and for the most part it seems like most are active here I think we probably would have heard if there was movement. But there is always a chance that there is more movement that we don't hear about (eg. people not updating here, some who may not be active on this forum)! Hang in there <3 

2 hours ago, DogMD said:

Assuming that there is 5 people per tier and for the most part it seems like most are active here I think we probably would have heard if there was movement. But there is always a chance that there is more movement that we don't hear about (eg. people not updating here, some who may not be active on this forum)! Hang in there <3 

That is true! Hopefully we see some movement this week!

• 2 weeks later...