Premed 101 Forums

NEW SPOTS?

Guest Don Corleone

Guest Don Corleone

I read in the newspaper on Friday (June 3rd) that the government and the university have decided on increasing the number of spots this year by eight (and by another seven next year).

Since this announcement was made 3 days after the letters were supposed to be sent out, does anyone know if these eight new spots will go to the first eight people on the waiting list?

Thanks!

DC

Guest fever meds

i haven't read the article yet. but did it say it was thinking of increasing the spots or actually had the funding for it?

the gov has been saying for years that they are going to increase # of spots. Although I have heard from people on the med comittee that they will increase spots (I heard around 5) but this again is still subject to funding.

Good luck!

Guest Don Corleone

I couldn't find the EXACT aritcle that I read in the free press, but this is close: www.ornh.mb.ca/news.html

"Manitoba's plan will:

Expand the University of Manitoba's medical school. Over the next two years, Manitoba's medical school enrolment will increase by a total of 15 seats (eight spaces in 2005-06 and seven spaces in 2006-07), bringing the total number of available seats to 100, an increase of over 40 per cent since 1999.

Expand opportunities for Canadian family physicians to upgrade training levels. Grants of $50,000 will be made available in return for service for family doctors to return to school to undertake a third year in an advanced skill area such as emergency medicine or anesthesiology.

Enhance and expand grant incentives for Canadian medical graduates. Ten new grants will be made available to Canadian medical grads in return for service in Manitoba. Five yearly grants of $15,000 for each year of full-time work in urban Manitoba and five grants of $25,000 for each year of full-time work in rural Manitoba to a maximum of four consecutive years will be provided.

Increase intake levels for the Medical Licensing Program for International Medical Graduates. Intakes will increase over the next two years to further complement Manitoba's international doctor supply.

Immediately establish a team of doctors to facilitate implementation of these steps and give advice on additional recruitment strategies. Those who know best how to meet health-care challenges are those working on the front lines and their advice will be sought.

Aggressively market Manitoba as a destination of choice for doctors and medical graduates. A one-stop-shop Internet site will be established for physicians wanting to work in Manitoba."

Archived