Premed 101 Forums

Biology In High School

Guest wannabe101

Guest wannabe101

I am wondering if any of you med school students did not take biology in high school for one reason or another. If so did it seriously affect your path to medical school or was it easy to recover from in university.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Guest TyShams

Hey there, I didn't take in bio courses in High School, but I did take two intro to bio courses at CEGEP. That was pretty much it. Many of my fellow students in med school have taken more bio than I have. Many have taken undergrad level bio courses, and from what I hear, it is very useful to get through the basic biology that you learn in first year of medicine. However, my lack of bio really hasn't put me at too much of a disadvantage. If I were in your position, I would make sure to take a few bio courses in undergrad before doing the MCATS, that will help you overcome some major hurdles that I had to face (since the two intro bio courses barely covered the material I needed to know). Hope that helps.

Regards,

TyShams

Not taking biology in high school will not seriously affect your application to med school. For me, I took only the prerequisites at UBC... I'm graduating med school in May. If you think about it, a lot of the biology you learn (especially in high school--ecology, botany, etc.) isn't really even related to medicine.

Guest leviathan

That's true, except grade 12 Biology in high-school is human physiology, and you do learn quite a lot in that course which is useful later on in university.

Not taking high school biology will not impact your med school application. That said, you will need to 'make it up' in university by taking a high school bio equivalent course as a pre-req to the university level bio courses (usually a pre-req for med schools).

The only negative thing about not taking biology in high school is that you are essentially going to have to pay for it in university (pay tuition to a university to cover the same material that would have been taught for free at HS).

Archived