Premed 101 Forums

Any pharmacist-turned-physician out there?

Guest bibibab

Guest bibibab

Hi all,

I'm just curious to see if there are people who were in pharmacy before applying to medical school. How did you justify your change of career?

Guest satsumargirl

Hey,

I'm not a pharmacist but an S-LP.

It is tough to decide to leave a career for the uncertainty of another. Especially when your current career is stable, pays decently with benefits, and has regular hours.

For me I just felt unstimulated at work and found myself gaining little satisfaction from it. I am happy when I see the work I have done has helped people, but I needed more intellectual stimulation. I think in school I had clinical work and research and the 2 balanced each other out. But now I don't have much research to keep me going.

So I simply justified it (to myself) as an investment of time and money to hopefully be happier in the end. I just can't see myself starting each work day, counting down 'til the end. I want to enjoy my work a little more than I do. (ok alot more than I do!).

Guest druggist

Whats up,

I am currently a pharmacist (graduated recently from Dal) and have been accepted to MedS and will be starting end of August.

I was never asked to justify my career change. Had I been, though, I had multiple answers (you should have unique answers to this question, if not, reconsider your change). My reasons were that I wanted to be more proximal to direct patient care. Even as a clinical pharmacist you cannot lay hands on the patient and perform procedures. I also wanted to use the knowledge that I had learned in pharm school to my greatest potential; incorporate relevant pharmaceutical care into medical practice. Frequently you must butt heads with the attending physician in order to get an order changed that is incorrect or therapeutically inappropriate. I also wanted to be directly involved in diagnosis and other, non-pharmacotherapeutic, aspects involved with the care of patients.

There are many more answers that I came up with for my personal reasons. I'm sure you have these. Send me a direct message if you want to discuss this further.

Cheers, and best of luck,

Druggist

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bibibab

Hi satsumargirl and Druggist,

Thanks for your replies. Yes druggist... I would like to discuss this matter further with you. The reasons for my career change are very clear to me, except that I have to find a "politically correct" way to put them, in case I get asked by the admission people. My undergrad GPA is not competitive for med school, so I'll probably need to do a course-intensive masters and apply to the only few med schools that consider the most recent credits heavily. There is still a long way to go...

Druggist: I'll send you a private message.

-Bib

• 1 month later...

Archived