Premed 101 Forums

Working while in med school

Guest Nicksinbc

Guest Nicksinbc

Hi all! I intend to work during my first year of medshool (starting in the fall). I am looking at approx. 10hrs/week. I think that it is possible and depends in part on the individual...ie discipline, time-management skills etc. Has anyone out there worked while in med-school...if so I would love to hear about how it worked out.

Thanks,

Nicks

Guest Mimicat65

I can't see that being a problem. Lots of people do lots of other things while in medschool - have a family, rockclimb, train for marathons, go out pubbing, etc. No need to stop life just because you are in school. You just have to decide what to spend your time on - if working is a priority, then it will all work out. Heck, we all probably waste at least 12 hours a week just watching mindless reality TV (even those of us who think we really don't watch TV much at all) ;) . As long as your work schedule works around classes and stuff, you'll be fine.

Guest drEvil

Yeah, I suggest that you take the opportunity to work in first year for sure. I worked 20 hours/ week and I found that it really helped me stay on top of things. I didn't procrastinate so much and fidget around so much. Keep in mind that I took 4.5 courses per semester though.

DrEvil

Guest Lactic Folly

If you're involved in extracurriculars, volunteering, sports, shadowing, exercise, internet surfing, that can easily add up to 10 h a week.. it just depends how you choose to spend your time. I wouldn't work 20 h a week in *med* school unless you really had to though.. it would be hard not to end up missing out on other things (like sleep).

Guest Nicksinbc

Thanks guys. I fully intend to work during this upcoming year and next year too if possible. The pocket money is nice but I really love the work itself. I anticipate that years 3 and 4 will be much busier and less flexible. The people I am working with are great and I think tht they will be understanding when exam time hits! Thanks for the responses.

Guest marbledust

I worked about 12-14 hours a week during my first two years and it was doable. There were times that it was a little tight in terms of deadlines and studying--but it just meant giving something else up temporarily (working out, socializing, housework). Like you, I really liked my job and wasn't willing (able!) to give it up. Some people will say you can't/shouldn't work during medical school, but everybody is different and often a job works out just fine--until clerkship, that is.:)

so am i understanding u guys properly, clerkship years don't allow one to have a part time job. That's dissapointing. So i guess save, save in years 1 & 2.

Guest jmh2005

I worked as an Occupational Therapist for my first two years of med school at McMaster. I did some very part-time stuff, like 5 hours/week, if that (one or two patients a week) For me, it was not only the time committment and lack of flexiblity that made me give it up in clerkship, but I had to keep up my licence yearly and my malpractice insurance...I think I ended up paying out more than I was taking in, which eventually made me give it up...

It's quite do-able...all the best :)

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

three words: Knock off DVDS. I actually started working with Izerk, who is still banned :( in her dvd business. We made quite a bit. I have enough to cover most of my tuition over the summer and I only worked for like 2 months. I think I will work there part time for the weekends. Doesn't involve a lot of work, just stand in the shop and make sure no one steals the dvds and collect the cash.

er, ya but isnt that a federal crime? meaning one can go to fokken prison along with serial rapists and killers for selling knockoff dvds. it was all worth it though.

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

LOL...don't worry if u work for Izerk's company, well apparently not hers but her relatives, she has u covered. You are Canadian citizen right?

Yeah the place got busted that one time by the cops. For some reason, izerk and I were on a date lol....she told me to go see a movie at the cinema with her that particular day. One of the employees that was working that day did get busted heard he got deported. Don't know what happened but her uncle just said the cops were being stupid, gotta use brains, that is all he said. Just know that I was at work the next day and business was usual.

They don't bust the chinese DVDs, only the bootleg English ones. But it is the English ones that make the most money. The entire mall is full of people selling the knockoffs. The cops busted all of them, but it did not stop sales. I made quite a bit on salary and "commission." Like i said, I am only a few grand away from covering my tuition.

Not bad for 2 months of work.

Archived