Premed 101 Forums

Medical PDAs

Guest Lactic Folly

Guest Lactic Folly

I was curious where most people have been storing their medical programs- built-in memory or memory card?

(anyone else, feel free to discuss topics of interest)

Guest cutieyellow

Just got my newest toy a few weeks ago. Got the PalmOne Lifedrive. 4 Gigs of space!!! Love it. Although i still haven't fully figured out how everything works, i've only uploaded games and pictures and mp3 and movies and such... It's just an entertainment device till september :)

It's weird though, even though it has 4 Gigs of space, i don't think it's all available for programs, but rather for files. And it has less space for programs...or something like that. Gotta figure it out. Are the other palms similar ? Ie, the 256 MB of the T5, is it for programs ?

CY

Guest endingsoon

I have a 256SD and it serves my needs...I don't really use anything on the palm, as I find that you never really end up using the fancy programs you have. A computer is always close by and you can always look up stuff on the internet if you need to.

Guest clinicalchief

Here at MUN, we have wireless in the HSC library and main cafeteria, so a trip in an elevator can get you online in no time.

cc

Guest squeegy80

The Tungsten C is the one us first-years at Calgary get. Since we just got them a few days ago, I haven't had much time to play around with it, but it seems good so far. Although I don't know much about Palms, so it could be horrible in comparison to others.

If you have any specific questions about it, I can try to help.

Guest satsumargirl

As part of our Ottawa package somewhere it said that a PDA may be useful starting in 3rd year. Somewhere I read some stuff on features and minimal recommended requirements. I think it's on the medtech site.....not sure if you have to be a student to access it??

Not sure if the fact that we all get laptops reduces our need for PDAs in 1st and 2nd year. But at least for Ottawa it wasn't recommended until 3rd year. Makes sense that in clerkship we would want handy access to reference tools, might not be so useful before then.

Guest peachy
anyone have any opinions on the real need for pda's (specifically for 1st year's)??
You should probably ask this question in your school-specific forum, to find out whether it's useful to have for your particular curriculum. At U of T, there is absolutely no need to have a PDA in first year. I didn't have one, and there was no point where I wished that I had one. Imho, the only reason to buy a PDA in first-year is if you personally want one for reasons that aren't particular to being a medical student. That is, if you like using an electronic agenda book / to do list / phone book, you want to watch movies or listen to music, or you want to play games.

Archived