Premed 101 Forums

Best ISP and telephone service

Guest misersizer

Guest misersizer

I was just wondering what Internet service providers have the best service and prices as well as what companies offer the cheapest telephone service. I'm in the Ottawa area.

Thanks

Guest InuvikGirl

www.medicine.uottawa.ca/m...g/faq.html

Q24. Are there discounts available for high-speed Internet access from home?

The University of Ottawa offers its students inexpensive Internet access through Edunet. Virtually unlimited access at 56.5 Kb/second is available for $130.00 per year (note that these prices can change at anytime without notice). Edunet also offers in association with Rogers , three different packages of high-speed access:

4 months for $149.95 ( Savings of 17%)

8 months for $279.95 ( Savings of 22%)

12 months for $349.95 ( Savings of 35%)

High-speed access is your best choice for accessing the online curriculum because it contains many images, animations, and videos. Students, who wish to have high speed access, should visit the Medtech office for all the details (room 2129).

As for phone, if you go with VoIP with VONAGE it ends up being pretty inexpensive

Guest misersizer

Has anyone used Edunet offered by U of O? How is it? Is it high speed and reliable?

And what about the one associated with Rogers. Is it the same as rogers cable internet and you get a discount?

VoIP from Vonage seems pretty good. Primus also offers something similar.

Guest InuvikGirl

For me, Vonage is a better choice for VoIP (if I purchase my own phone adapter-wireless router) because I will just have to pay for the monthly service (package prices plus 15% tax)and a $39.99 start-up fee. I can avoid the shipping an handling fees this way and also get a wireless router (Linksys WRTP54G ) in the deal (which i need anyways b/c i will have more than one computer).

watch out for primus' extra fee for long distance. They don't advertise it (you can find it under the long distance fine print), but you will get charged an additional $20 a month for the 'unlimited' long distance. Also the long distance with primus does not apply to any Canadian Territories, whereas with Vonage it does (important for me but not for most).

Oh ya, and Vonage has a cool way to check your phone messages online (they can be e-mailed to you as sound files)

Guest iceapatel
For me, Vonage is a better choice for VoIP (if I purchase my own phone adapter-wireless router)

Just wanted to say that if you're going with Vonage, Staples has a decent deal on a phone adapter (Linksys PAP2)... right now its on for $90+tax, but you get $65 of that back in the form of a mail-in-rebate after 3 months of Vonage subscription. The offer supposedly expires at the end of September...

Guest misersizer

Ok,

I've only recently heard about this internet phone stuff, so I was just wondering...does having something like VoIP restrict you to only one phone (the one plugged into the phone adapter)? Obviously, you must not use your regular phone jacks. If you want multiple phones, is the only other solution to get a phone with multiple handsets?

Guest InuvikGirl

Hi misersizer

If you are interested in having one line (one phone number) with multiple phones, then all you need to do is purchase a phone line splitter (cheep little thing that is part of a regular phone cord) so that you can hook up multiple phones from one ‘jack’ or plug in. You do not need to purchase a phone with multiple handsets, but it does make it easier than snaking phone cords around the house (the second option is a lot cheaper though).

If you are interested in having multiple lines and multiple phones, you have to purchase additional lines (our house has a phone system with two incoming lines, i.e. two phone numbers, the second has a distinct ring that is different so that we know it is the business line).

Guest nextstopmd

Hey guys,

I have my highspeed and telephone through a company called 3Web. Paying Sympatico 45 bucks a month was getting to me so I made the switch and have never looked back.

5Mb/sec DSL is 24.95 a month (29.95 if you don't have their long distance plan). If you live in the GTA or Ottawa they also have cable highspeed available (5Mb/sec at same price as the DSL and 7Mb/sec for 34.95 a month - 39.95 without their long distance).

There are no download limits.

The long distance is 4c/min for Canada and the US (anytime).

They are at www.3web.com

nextstopmd

Guest misersizer

Hey nextstopmd,

I checked out the 3web website and the prices seem awesome. Are you satisfied with the speed and service quality? Did you have to purchase a modem from them, or is there a monthly fee?

Thanks,

Misersizer

Guest nextstopmd

Hey misersizer,

I already had a DSL modem so I didn't have to purchase one, but I think you can either buy or rent one from them. So far I have been very happy with the service. It was down for a day due to a fiber cut somewhere, but other than that, things have been great. I can usually download at around 350K/sec or so...

Guest Anish  P
I've only recently heard about this internet phone stuff, so I was just wondering...does having something like VoIP restrict you to only one phone (the one plugged into the phone adapter)?

misersizer, I'm not totally sure about this, but I've heard (check this thread) that if you run a phone cord (RJ-11) from the phone adapter back into a phone jack in your place, it will make every other phone jack in your house live. You could then plug in a phone into *any* phone jack in your place, and be able to use internet phone.

Now, I have to admit I'm kind of skeptical about this... I haven't tried it myself, since I won't be signing up for voip until next month. If/when I find out anything, I'll post here.

Anish

Guest misersizer

hmmmm, interesting Anish....I might have to get my boyfriend to read that thread cause I got a little lost. I wonder if I inquired about this with Vonage if they would know if that would work.

Guest medeng

I think it would work in principle, but as stated in the article, you do need to make sure your house wiring is disconnected from the external network. Also, depending on the number of jacks and quality of lines in the house, you may need to install an amplifier to keep the quality from degrading. And I'm not at all sure about this last point, but I think you might need a twisted pair cable to go from the adapter to the jack...

I noticed you did not get an answer for this on that board, Anish:

What about if you have naked/dry DSL running through the phone line, even though there is no Bell landline phone service?

I'm not an electrical engineer, but i've played with enough electronic stuff that I'm pretty sure that your phone box would not like that current coming in from the wire that is only supposed to have what it (the phone box) puts out. Especially when this foreign current is higher frequency and energy.

I would not recommend hooking your phone lines to your box, but hey, i've been wrong before and will be again, feel free to prove me so.

Guest Anish  P

Hey nby & medeng, thanks for the replies.

I don't know too much about electrical wiring either, but I do share your skepticism about running the phone cord back into the jack... especially if there is another signal (eg. DSL) running through there.

I think the best solution if you want to have multiple phones connected to a single VoIP phone box is to buy a couple of those phone splitters and go nuts...

Anish

Archived