Premed 101 Forums

Intern for Life?

Guest Miss

I have always been really keen about reproductive health and basically educating women on the many options available to us today. However, there are a couple of guys at the driving range who are @Toronto Gen and tell me obgyns are interns for life and i will never have a moments peace, basically my lifestyle will suck.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I think it depends upon the type of practice that you ultimately form once you complete a residency in Obs/Gyn. Some examples: I have one friend who is an obstetrician and two folks who I know who are working more in the Gyn/Reproductive Medicine side of the specialty. My pal in obstetrics complains of some pretty crazy hours due to the call associated with delivering babies, but the other two are quite happy with their practices given that the surgeries or procedures are scheduled quite nicely, especially in the case of the reproductive medicine practice.

At this point, if lifestyle is a worry for you and you continue to be interested in the field, I'd try to get in touch with a few practitioners who are working in the area(s) that you fancy. They'll give you the best idea of the practice options and associated lifestyles out there.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest cheech10

At North York General (2nd in number of deliveries to Mt. Sinai), there are >10 obstetricians that take call, so call is fairly infrequent, and most of them sign out their delivieries to the on call MD, so in large community groups call is not that bad even for obs. You can have a life in most specialties if you choose so.

Guest strider2004

If you are more interested in Women's Health then you could do family medicine and then get a 1yr diploma in Women's Health. Then you can do all the education you want.

Archived