Premed 101 Forums

neuro ophthalmologist

Guest satsumargirl

Guest satsumargirl

Does anyone here know what this specialization involves? Is it a specialty or subspecialty? Is is competitive? What are the work conditions like (hours/pay/job satisfaction)?

I've tried looking at various programs but I don't quite understand. UBSs site has a fellowship in neuro ophthalmology for neurologists or ophthalmologist...so you can enter the field from 2 streams?

McGill just says they have a 5 year ophthalmology residency program and states there are subpecialties such as neuro-ophthalmology but doesn't explain how to go about doing them. You do apparently have rotations in all the subpsecialties and in the last year I guess you could elect moslty neuro ones? Does that make you an neuro-ophthalmologist in the end?

If anyone knows of any other interesting neuro related specialties I'd love to hear about them!

Thanks

Sats

Guest Ian Wong

I think the more traditional way of getting into Neuro-ophtho is as a fellowship following a 5 year Ophthalmology residency. I suspect the fellowship is either 1 or 2 years long, but I'm not sure which one.

During your Ophtho residency, you will have rotations in Neuro-ophtho (along with other Ophtho rotations like Peds Ophtho, Retina, Oculo-plastics, etc), but if you really want to subspecialize down into that one area, usually you'll need to do the fellowship in order to see the number of cases to get your experience up (as well as for marketing purposes, particularly if you plan on working either an academic career, or working in a large city where the job pool may be saturated).

Ian

Archived