Premed 101 Forums

hypochondriac in med school

Guest deeMD

Guest deeMD

So I'm entering med this year. I'm a self-professed hypochondriac and was wondering if anyone out there has had experience in med school with this and how they deal with it.

thanks,

DMD

Guest noncestvrai

Some get even worse in medschool...

I am not, maybe because I was a boyscout and I worked in $hit (facotries, engines, farm work et al.)...for a good part.

You have to die of something someday right?

noncestvrai

Guest scrubbed

If the literature has an answer ...

Medical Education

Volume 38 Issue 5 Page 479 - May 2004

doi:10.1046/j.1365-2929.2004.01813.x

undergraduate medical education

Does medical school cause health anxiety and worry in medical students?

Gurminder Singh, Matthew Hankins & John A Weinman

Objectives The aim of this study was to investigate the self-reported experience of health anxiety and worry in medical students compared with control subjects. It was hypothesised that medical students would experience more health anxiety as a consequence of being exposed to medical education, compared to students who are not routinely exposed to such knowledge.

Design The design was cross-sectional.

Setting Participants were recruited from London University (Guy's, King's & St Thomas' School of Medicine and King's College).

Participants Medical students (n = 449) and non-medical students (n = 485) were recruited across Years 1-4. Questionnaires relating to health anxiety and worry were completed at the end of their lectures.

Main outcome measures Health anxiety was measured using a questionnaire known as the Health Anxiety Questionnaire (HAQ). Worry was assessed using the Anxious Thoughts Inventory (ANTI).

Results Health anxiety was significantly lower in medical students in Years 1 and 4 than in controls (P = 0.017 and P < 0.001, respectively). Worry was significantly lower in the medical students in all years of study.

Conclusions Medical students are not a cohort of preselected health-anxious people, nor are they 'worriers'. Medical education at a clinical level was shown to mitigate health anxiety in the medical student population.

Guest noncestvrai

Yeah, I have n=3 in my class, so bleh.

One self diagnosed polycythemia vera, the other everything people touch is a fomite...the other, I don't know she thinks she's got some N. gonorrhea growing in her throat.

Maybe I should do the study.

noncestvrai

Guest UWOMED2005

"Med Studentitis"

There's a name for med school hypochondriasis. I think it's most common in 2nd year, where you study REALLY rare diseases with extremely vague symptoms and everybody worries they have.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a bout or two myself in 2nd year. I think it's only normal.

3rd year puts things into context (ie you barely to rarely see most diseases and the patients are often 75+) so I think things get better.

If you're really worried, talk to the med school counselling office and advise them of the situation. And BE AWARE of your tendencies. . . insight is often key to managing such problems.

Guest leviathan

I think it's pretty normal for everyone to go through a hypochondriac stage to one degree or another. Personally, after reading about tapeworms and other parasites in pork, I find it difficult to eat pork anymore (even fully cooked).

Guest McMastergirl

I'm convinced I had West Nile virus in the summer between 2nd and 3rd year. No one believes me, but I had all the symptoms, and I was bitten by mosquitos only 3 days previous!

:D

Guest tiaga3

Don't worry about your West nile, I am sure I had Leprosy after watching a world vision program, so I have no clue as to how I will react once in med school!!!

Tiaga

Guest strider2004

The truth is you actually may have gotten west nile, but remember less than 1% have a life-threatening reaction. The vast majority only have flulike symptoms.

Guest McMastergirl

I think I probably did have it, since it was in the area at the time. I woke up in the middle of night with a fever, and for the next 3 days I had myalgias and anorexia and extreme fatigue. I made an uneventful recovery. I've never had anything like that before!

Guest purplefairy13

Speaking of west nile....I'm also worried about SARS (yes, I realize that its 'under control'...). When dealing with patients who are coughing, can we wear masks (and goggles) if we want?

Guest uteng

hey purplefairy,

since you're going to UofT, there are new protocols in place in many of the Toronto hospitals. I don't know the details, but it seems like patients who present with a cough are given a mask right away, and then put into isolation or are at least curtained off with a type of plastic (depending which hospital you're in). Doctors will don masks, and sometimes gloves and gowns before entering the room. Disposable face shields are available if you want.

I followed an ER doc around for a bit at a community hospital, and was myself admitted for Norwalk at a downtown hospital so got to see some of the precautions post-SARS :)

Guest opiedog

Not to be insensitive or anything, but have you ever noticed how limps get worse when you are taking a patient down the hall to the examininng room? Or clients suddenly develop a deeper more convulsive cough without being able to cover their mouths!! It's no wonder some of us think/know we have a bug the patients have brought in. Coughs and limps often improve by the time the client leaves the office. Usually, in flu season, I feel like I have the flu by the end of my shift from being coughed on so much, and go shower before I hug anyone at home.

I can feel a phlegm ball develop just thinking about it!

Archived