Premed 101 Forums

is queens diverse?

Guest zhenlun

Guest zhenlun

hi there... ok i was all decided on going to queens... and then i ran into my cousin who had a friend who went to undergrad there and she said that queens is full of rich white kids... not that there's anything wrong with that... but being neither rich nor white... i was hoping that there would be a diverse crowd... if the school itself isn't diverse, is the med program atleast?... now this rich white kid rumor has been around since i applied to queens for undergrad... just wondering if its actually true.

Guest CalicoKal

Take a look at the make up of the student body by going to a class' website and checking out the composites. The class is certainly diverse. Don't let the stereotype fool you. You'll fit in fine. Kingston itself isn't the most diverse place, but you show the city what it means to be a true canadian now...:P

Guest Valani9

Queen's is as diverse as any other meds classes (i would think, anyway).

But you're right that Kingston is a little more homogeneous (and maybe also the rest of Queen's, for that matter).

Guest anemarie

i don't understand what u'r trying to say......u asked if queen's is full of rich white kids and that u don't like that.....u also said that there's nothing wrong with that, but just your post makes it sound like there is something totally wrong with it.........i am sure that if queen's was full of rich yellow kids, or rich brown kids, or rich black kids, u would feel more comfortable, no? so u must think that there's something wrong with being white, or is it the combination rich white that's bothering you? would it be better if it would be poor white? i'm sure that u wouldn't complain then, and u would feel superior! to me, this is RACISM!>:

you will be a doctor, and u shouldn't have any problem with colors as u will treat many different colored people.......or would you turn down any white patients under the pretext that there are too many of them?

the admission committee at queen's should really reorganize their priorities, and admit people that are capable of living in a multicultural country, naturally, that means, even with white people!!!!!!!!

As a graduating Queen's student I can say I do have friends who were disappointed with the lack of cultural diversity here in Kingston. However, that is usually in comparison to UofT/Toronto. Also, there are certainly a large number of clubs/activities that support multicultural events/groups here. I've included a link below for you to check out some of the clubs here at Queen's. If there's something in particular that interests you, don't hesitate to contact the group and ask them about their presence on campus and how members of the group feel about the cultural diversity here. They can probably give you a better answer to your questions than I can, being a white (and poor) student.

www.myams.org/studentlife/clubs/clubsA-Z.php

Guest zhenlun

oh anemarie... you sure do like to jump to conclusions don't you... im sorry if i offended others with my post... but im not sorry for offending you personally cause it seems like you like to pull @#%$ outta ur ass... i've asked many people after my post those who have spent four years at queens... and the general consensus is that the queens population is more homongenous than others and it just HAPPENS to be white and they are mostly well off... my post was about DIVERSITY... not about wanting a campus to be full of people of my own race... did i once ever say that in my post?... for someone who preaches tolerance you seem to think in terms of absolutes... is this what you really thought of my post"queens has a lot of white people, he wants to go to a diverse school, thus he hates white people"... i dunno bout you but there's seems to be a flaw in ur logic... but being a racist im probably wrong...

oh and another, you say that me being a racist i would be unable to practice properly... well im pretty sure that a lot of doctors treat patients who they may not like and hold sterotypical views towards... but do it anways... why? because of tolerance... tolerance isn't brushing ur feelings under the rug and pretending that they don't exist.. tolerance is recognizing ur feelings and rising above them when the situation calls... u don't seem to understand that... it seems like u think every doctor should come out of a cookie cutter and not have bad thoughts...

and as for the queens admissions comittee comment... wow, you are so overdramatic.. ur sure u wanna be a doctor? washed up actor seems more appropriate... yes anemarie.. the queens admissions board has a little box where they check to make sure this candidate can't live in a multicultural environment, i guess if they candidate wants to go to a diverse school they would fail this part... oh wait that would be me... and for the record western and ottawa admission boards need to get their priorities straight too then

Guest coastalslacker

Get a grip kids.

The stereotype of Queens undergrad is rich white kids. As far as Queens medicine is concerned it is much less homogeneous. I still find my class to be quite "white", but that makes sense given Canada's demographics. As far as the rich part goes, from what I've heard, the average parental income for medical students is relatively high. However, this is at EVERY school, not strictly Queens. As always, there are exceptions. Just that fact that so many people have parents who are doctors (way more than I thought there would be coming in) drives the average up significantly.

Cheers

• 1 year later...

Archived