Premed 101 Forums

Choosing between Queen's and Western

Guest kaisermark

Guest kaisermark

Hey all,

I've got to choose between Queen's and Western, which is going to be very difficult because they're so similar. I was wondering if anyone can help me out. Could you please compare and contrast it to your knowledge and then list which one you would pick? Maybe I'll decide by how people "vote" on premed101, haha. I'll also post this on the Western forum.

Thanks,

Mark

Guest bfong07MD

i have to choose btw UofT and Western (I'm declining Mac). The decision is even harder now that Western threw $80K into the equation.

Guest Valani9

congrats to both of you-

Choosing between UWO and Queen's - That's a tough one. They are similar schools, both very good. I always used to have the impression that UWO was better, all-around. The town is also a factor: London is bigger, with more of the amenities, etc. Kingston is smaller, but it has more charm and culture (ie. really excellent bars, restaurants, good music passing through).

Choosing between UofT and Queen's - that's a little easier. If location is your main factor, then UofT is the choice - Toronto is a great city. But Queen's will offer you a superior undergrad education - especially clinically. In smaller centres you get more attention, and there is more emphasis on the basics. That is what counts in those years.

Having said all of that, I really think that all of these schools are pretty solid, and you'll do well at any of them. Location may be the most important thing to you.....

Good luck

Guest Scared in the Woods

Congratulations on the position you're in!

I've lived in both Kingston and London and visited and talked to a lot of students from bothuniversities. Obviously its a matter of personal preference, but I like Queen's for its laid back atmosphere. It gets a bad rap for being smaller, but it has a lot to offer. There are a phenomenal number of small pubs and restaurants and the music scene is legendary, spawning the Tragically Hip among other greats. Kingston is safe (ignore the maximum security prisons, I've never heard of anyone escaping) and the waterfront is beautiful and highly accessible with the international regatta every summer. The atmosphere is friendly and laid back and the campus even more so. Hope that helps!

Cheers!

Scared in the Woods

Guest drews97

Congrats on having a choice! I had the same decision to make and I'll let you know why I decided to come to Queen's and what my feelings are now that I'm done my second year8o

I'm from Alberta and I decided to go to Kingston because it is more central to a number of cities than London. Sure, London is close to T.O., but we're pretty close to T.O, Ottawa, Montreal, Syracuse, etc. Also, I'm a big downhill skiier and our options living in Kingston (Jay Peak, Tremblant, Whiteface, etc.) are much better than in London:p I loved the fact that Kingston was on a lake (not too much waterfront property in Alberta) and I like the historic downtown area where the University and all the students lived.

Now that I've been here for a while I can honestly say that one school over the other will NOT offer a BETTER education. What you will get is a different education. Queen's and Western will teach you what you need to know, but you have to decide which method will work best for you. I enjoy the fact that at Queen's we only have tests once a semester...it gives us a lot of time to do observerships, get involved in various groups, golf/ski/party, etc. Some probably wouldn't like this, but I do!! Another nice thing about Kingston is that being smaller it's often easier to do more in the hospital as an undergrad (less clerks and residents to compete with!!). Our clinical skills program is great (as I'm sure Western's is) so I feel pretty comfortable around patients (ie://I can fake it well because I don't know what's going on a lot of the time!!). Some worry that in Kingston you don't get to see as many weird cases...but who cares!! As an undergrad med student you don't want to learn about the zebras, you want to make sure you can recognize the stuff you'll actually see. When chosing a city where you want to do a residency or fellowship in it is much more important to consider things like patient load, etc.

So, when making a decision don't worry about which school is better. If you work hard and do well you'll probably know about the same after 4 years and will probably match equally well in residency. I am obviously just presenting you with my views and don't think that there are no problems with the way we are taught here...there are, but rest assured that people at every med school in the country (and the world) complain about things from time to time. Good luck with your decision, and no matter where you pick you'll be going to a pretty wicked school!

Guest queenslatifah

I agree... I think Queen's wins this race... on the surface they may seem quite similar, but there are some key differences. Kingston may be a tad smaller... but the result is that you can live like a QUEEN (ha ha) here... for a fraction of the Toronto prices and much less than London too (if you wnat to be anywhere close to campus or the downtown). I did my undergrad at Queen's and Masters at UWO... and also struggled with this choice... but Kingston and Queen's have a great deal to offer. Sometimes Western/London just seems a bit too removed or insulated. Queen's is very diverse and energetic and the class and faculty are very close and seem invested in your future. A tough choice... but hope to see all you "indecisive ones" at Queen's in Sept.

• 1 year later...

Archived