Premed 101 Forums

conditional acceptance?

Guest latitude

Guest latitude

Hi i looked thru past posts and it said that queens offers conditional acceptances where cgpa (including final year) has to be higher than the cutoff, i was wondering whether this is true...i thought they were firm acceptances non?

I contacted Mrs. Cumpson at the Admissions Office about this, and she said that you have to maintain a CGPA of 3.66 (including your year of application) in order to keep your acceptance.

but, how would this apply to someone who did not have a cumulative gpa of 3.66 to begin with and was granted an interview based on that last two year gpa that met the cut? would it just mean that they would have to maintain a 3.66 gpa in the final year? or, would the final year gpa need to be high enough to bring the cgpa up to the cut?

thanks,

RXK

Guest MedAnxiety

hmm, I think you're confused with Western and Queens? I think Queens looks at your cumulative GPA to determine whether or not you get an interview. Western only looks at your top two years with 5 full courses.

Guest Isoceles

Queen's looks at all years OR two most recent years. As I met cut-offs based on my two most recent I am wondering how this works as well: do my two most recent (completed) years PLUS my current year (the three averaged) need to meet the cutoff, or will my new two most recent years (ie last year plus this year) need to meet the cut off)?? It would make sense to me that after this year's marks are in Queen's would consider it plus last year; otherwise they would be making their final decision based on the THREE most recent years... I'm not sure, and I don't know which they do...confusing :b

Guest medeng

From the OMSAS info:

Offers will be conditional on the candidate’s having maintained an academic standing acceptable to the Admissions Committee.

But who knows exactly what that means... My guess is that your current year needs to be above cutoff, but I have no inside info...

Guest Larbot

Hiya,

Queen's looks at tyour 2 most recent years and if that doesn't meet the cutoffs they look at your CGPA

I hope that clears things up

Cheers!

Guest doctorped

Am I allowed to quote from the University's website directly? I hope so. Anyway, I'll delete it if I have to.

Not to be picky, but, officially, I think it's the other way around from Larbot's statement. I guess it doesn't really make much of a difference because it's the last 2 years that are used to assess if the cGPA doesn't make the cutoff.

Here's the quote from Queen's:

*The GPA cutoff is based on the cumulative average; that is, all undergraduate courses are included in the calculation of the GPA. If the applicant does not make the GPA cutoff based on their cumulative average, we will consider as an alternative the last two years of undergraduate study

Guest doctorped

Sorry, one more reply here. RXK, I think it only makes sense if you consider Queen's policy. You would need to maintain the 3.66 because if you don't, Queen's will then look at your last two years of undergrad study. It is not good because if you dipped below the 3.66 cGPA you had, doesn't that stand to reason that you slid in your last year? Queen's is going to use that last year plus the previous in their assessment in that case.

I'm not certain if that is correct or not, though. I'm only going by what I read on Queen's website.

If you're accepted early but your cGPA falls, I think by default, your last year probably wouldn't look too good.

Guest caliente

Perhaps they only use the gpa rule(s) in terms of interview offers?

It would be really mean to rescind an offer of admission, even if it is conditional. May be as long as you pass your final year? Or is that too much to hope for? Maybe 3.0+? I personally feel that the conditional offer terms would be lower than the interview requirements. Many people slack off in their final year or semester. But, perhaps these are the people who don't get into med school, lol?

Guest josh

I'm confused... so does that mean that the CURRENT year that you're in (while your application is being processed) does not count towards your cGPA? Is it just the cGPA of year before that?

• 1 year later...

Archived