Premed 101 Forums

Post Interview Feedback

Guest seedstrike

Guest seedstrike

Queen's interview season is officially over. I gotta say, I'm quite impressed by the caliber of students we had this year.

So now that you guys are playing the waiting game and have some time before the acceptance letter madness begins, can you take some time and reflect on your experience at Queen's. Particularly interested in what went right and what went wrong and how to improve the experience for future candidates.

Thanks in advance for your help and good luck.

Guest medeng

I was pretty impressed by Queen's, especially by how friendly and encouraging all the students were! although i did undergrad at Q, so I guess I was expecting that :)

One minor detail, providing pizza for the lunch wasn't the best choice... greasy food really saps my energy, so i ended up going to common ground instead...

Guest tim23

my impression of Queens and the class itself really went up after the interview weekend, but I wasn't sold on Kingston, so Queens won't be one of my top choices

Tim

PS the video was great

Guest purplefairy13

I really enjoyed my Queens interview...the students were really nice, but it wasn't so casual that I forgot that it was a med school (nice mixture of class spirit and academics). ;)

One thing I would change for next year would be to not have the bus tour of Kingston...I ended up not going, and instead spoke to some current students, which I found gave me a better impression of what Queens is all about.

And now the wait begins....two months!!! :eek

PuRpLeFaiRy13

Guest studentz

My impressions were similar to those of time23, but unlike him I don't have the balls to publicly announce what my top choice is at the moment! Too many people have said their interviews went well and with one more interview left, I'm entering the period of nervous waiting. I will say that I didn't apply anywhere I couldn't see myself going.

Guest IwannaGetin

Hey folks,

Do all OMSAS schools send off their decisions on May 31st. And is it email or mail? Im asking cos im gonna be away. thanks

Guest Platinum84

Not sure about the first part of your question - although every Medical school I inquired about (Mac, Western, Queens) all mentioned late May as the mail-out date.

And it's snail-mail - not email... This part I know for sure (at least for the above 3 schools)

Hope that helps

I agree with what everyone else said so far. The only compaint I would have though is about the waiting area where they had us sit before our interviews. The desks all in a circle was intimidating and only a few mre outgoing people were talking. I think a set-up of smaller groups of desks with a med student at each would be better for being able to ask questions and meet other candidates.

Guest coastalslacker

Just so you all know, last year we were able to call the undergrad office and ask whether we got in after the letters had been mailed.

I remember posting something to the extent of "we shouldn't bother the office staff because they have enough to do... blah blah", and then calling anyways. They aren't that busy....give 'em a call and then you can get some closure, one way or the other, a few days earlier.

Cheers

Guest medeng

just to confirm the above, they have to wait until the 31st (they all agreed with OMSAS to do it the same day)... UofO sends out emails, but I think all the others use snail-mail, a few more days of stress, unless you're brave enough to make that phone call!

Guest seedstrike

Thanks for the responses so far, guys.

As far as bugging the undergrad meds office, they'll even tell you your waitlist ranking after they have done the second round of acceptance. The only condition is, you have to be polite when you call. :D

Guest little endian

I had a great time on the interview weekend and thought it was really well thought out. The only down point was the weather, and you guys couldn't do anything about that, so I would say don't change anything! As far as the waiting rooms go, I liked how we were all in a big circle with a few med students in the room; I thought it promoted a relaxed atmosphere and friendly chatting.

Guest nalbaqui

I can honestly say now how I liked the queen's co-operative attitude the best. the others might have talked about it, but you guys honestly showed it. there's nothing i would change, and not the bus tour either. i went, and the guy giving the tour was HILARIOUS. it got a bit dreary by the time we went to one of those island (can't remember, i am sorry), but it picked up again when he showed us the hospitals. Thanks for everything guys...i SO hope i get to see most of you this fall.

• 1 year later...

Archived