Premed 101 Forums

GPA Cutoff?

Guest Gracchi

Guest Gracchi

I'm trying to gather information on the Ontario med schools. What is the GPA cutoff for applicants? My girlfriend really wants to go to med school but her GPA is not as high as what I've seen most people says theirs are on this board.

What is the GPA cutoff?

Last 2 years or all?

Would a masters degree help?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Madz25

This year the GPA cutoff was 3.66

If your cumulative GPA was not 3.66, you were still offered an interview if your last 2 years GPA met that cutoff (also provided u met the MCAT cutoffs).

• 2 months later...
Guest chicaromes

Does that mean in each year you must have made the cut-off if your CGPA was less? Or, do they take the average of the last two years and see if its more?

Guest MedAnxiety

really? I thought on their website it said that it was your ENTIRE undergraduate marks that they calculate for your GPA?

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

I think the info here is a bit off... there are 2 different gpa cutoffs depending on your situation: a cgpa of 3.68 i believe was this year's cutoff, OR a top 2-year gpa of 3.78 was required. The top-2 year cutoff is based on whatever marks you've got available at the time of application (ie unlike western which will offer you an interview if you have 1 year above cutoff but require a second year above cutoff for admission)

• 2 weeks later...
This year the GPA cutoff was 3.66

If your cumulative GPA was not 3.66, you were still offered an interview if your last 2 years GPA met that cutoff (also provided u met the MCAT cutoffs).

This part isn't clear too clear to me. Do you mind my asking, does anyone who meets the annual cut-off get an interview? I thought it only meant that their file was opened for consideration for an interview? I'd really appreciate any information on this bit.

Thanks so much!

This part isn't clear too clear to me. Do you mind my asking, does anyone who meets the annual cut-off get an interview? I thought it only meant that their file was opened for consideration for an interview? I'd really appreciate any information on this bit.

Thanks so much!

Anyone who makes the cutoffs gets an interview, yes.

GPA + MCAT

If you make the GPA + MCAT cutoffs, you have an interview. If, however, you are a grad student applicant (and there will be NO ambiguity if you are or not;you will know), you only MUST MEET THE MCAT cutoff. See the note regarding grad student applicants on Queen's Meds admissions website here:

http://meds.queensu.ca/undergrad/admissions/graduate_students

There is a lot of unknown wooliness about GPA wrt to grad students, however, the MCAT cutoff is an absolute. While I suspect there are parameters that a grad subcommitte will be bound by, I think that there are rather difiicult to pry out of the admissions office - but I have never tried. I have been told by the admissions office that they will assess your grad record for productivity etc. Since they don't allow additional materials, it's up to the applicant to get the evidence of grad school achievement in there somehow (ie, Autobiog sketch)

k

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone who makes the cutoffs gets an interview, yes.

GPA + MCAT

Thanks, that is good news! Do you think that most universities with cut-offs employ them for the same reason, or do they establish them only to determine who is eligible for an interview (but doesn't necessarily get one?) I find this aspect confusing.

Thanks, that is good news! Do you think that most universities with cut-offs employ them for the same reason, or do they establish them only to determine who is eligible for an interview (but doesn't necessarily get one?) I find this aspect confusing.

Some schools cutoff=guaranteed interview (UWO + Queen's) other schools, it just advances your app to the next round (Ottawa)

i actually don't think the cutoff changed at all between 2006 and 2007, or if it did it was very minor. oh wait, the mcat cutoff changed (debatable whether you'd consider it an increase or a decrease or just a neutral change) but i think it was 10 10 10 O with a total of 32 last year but this year it was 10 10 10 P with a total of 30.

Here is a list of Queen's cut-offs for the past number of years:

2007: 3.68 (3.78 for last 2 years)

2006: 3.68 (3.78 for last 2 years - first year 2 different cut-offs were used)

2005: 3.66

2004: 3.62

2003: 3.59

2002: 3.57

2001: 3.57

2000: 3.56

1997: 3.52

Here is a list of the MCAT cut-offs (BS/PS/VR/total/WS):

2007: 10/10/10/30/P

2006: 10/10/10/32/O

2005: 9/9/9/32/O

2004: 9/9/9/32/O

2003: 9/9/10/32/N

2002: 9/9/10/30/N

2001: 9/9/10/30/N

1997: 8/8/10/29/N

Hope that helps.

Elaine

and they take all ur courses into account rite?..not just science courses...why do ppl in mdapplicants.com have their science GPA posted as well..

What marks Queen's uses depends on your overall GPA. If your GPA is above their cut-off, including all summer and part-time courses you've taken, then they don't look any further (as far as GPA goes - they still look at your MCAT). If, however, your overall GPA using all courses doesn't meet the cut-off, then they will look at your most recent two full time years (minimum 3.0 courses per year). In that case, part time years (less than 3.0 courses) and summer courses are excluded. For the past two years, the second cut-off has been 0.1 above the first cut-off (ie: 3.78 rather than 3.68).

Those who meet the GPA cut-offs using either their overall or last two year average plus meet the MCAT receive interviews. Post interview, Queen's ranks applicants based on 50% interview and 50% written submission/reference letters. That is, Queen's no longer considers GPA or MCAT scores once interviews are granted.

Personally, I'm hoping the cut-off doesn't go up next year. My overall GPA doesn't meet the cut-offs. My most recent two years of full time studies have a GPA of 3.78....exactly. Thus, an increase of even 0.01 will exclude me from the September 2008 applicants.

Elaine

Here is a list of Queen's cut-offs for the past number of years:

2007: 3.68 (3.78 for last 2 years)

2006: 3.68 (3.78 for last 2 years - first year 2 different cut-offs were used)

2005: 3.66

2004: 3.62

2003: 3.59

2002: 3.57

2001: 3.57

2000: 3.56

1997: 3.52

Here is a list of the MCAT cut-offs (BS/PS/VR/total/WS):

2007: 10/10/10/30/P

2006: 10/10/10/32/O

2005: 9/9/9/32/O

2004: 9/9/9/32/O