Premed 101 Forums

GPA Cutoff?

Guest Gracchi

I talked to a few people who are reliable sources, including the admissions committee and they are definetely expecting it to be a 3.68 for the 2007-2008 application cycle. A few more people told me that (not students, reliable sources) so I think we can expect the gpa at least to be a 3.68

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
I think the info here is a bit off... there are 2 different gpa cutoffs depending on your situation: a cgpa of 3.68 i believe was this year's cutoff, OR a top 2-year gpa of 3.78 was required. The top-2 year cutoff is based on whatever marks you've got available at the time of application (ie unlike western which will offer you an interview if you have 1 year above cutoff but require a second year above cutoff for admission)

i dont think this is true, i applied this year to uwo meds and i only had one year over 3.7 and i didnt get an interview bc they said i had to meet the minimum gpa requirements.

i'd love to be proven wrong tho since i was told by uwo meds that conditional offers do exist but i did not see to the benefit of it yet...whats the deal there?

i dont think this is true, i applied this year to uwo meds and i only had one year over 3.7 and i didnt get an interview bc they said i had to meet the minimum gpa requirements.

i'd love to be proven wrong tho since i was told by uwo meds that conditional offers do exist but i did not see to the benefit of it yet...whats the deal there?

According to another one of your posts, you also didn't meet the UWO MCAT cut-offs. That probably had a little bit to do with it...

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22328

pb

So, can we expect the GPA cut-off to budge anytime? I've got a 3.767, and I'm pretty sure I'll apply (my MCAT is 10-10-12 T, so I'm sure I'll be covered here). It's close enough to this year's 3.78 for me to give it a shot, but still, wanted to see what others with 3.7+ but below 3.8 are doing. Are you taking the plunge?

So, can we expect the GPA cut-off to budge anytime? I've got a 3.767, and I'm pretty sure I'll apply (my MCAT is 10-10-12 T, so I'm sure I'll be covered here). It's close enough to this year's 3.78 for me to give it a shot, but still, wanted to see what others with 3.7+ but below 3.8 are doing. Are you taking the plunge?

My 2 year GPA is 3.78 exactly. I'll be applying, and hoping that the GPA cut-off doesn't go up! My MCAT is 10-10-12-R, so like you, I should be okay with that cut-off. I'm hoping that they move the MCAT cut-off up, rather than the GPA cut-off, if they need to increase the cuts. Maybe they'll go back to the sum of 32??

That said, the GPA cut-off has remained constant for 2 years. That cut hasn't remained constant for more than 2 years since at least the 1990's. However, at the same time, the accreditation documentation from Queen's says that they want to increase the number of students interviewed. The limiting factor is faculty volunteers to conduct interviews. Maybe the desired increase in interviews will prevent the cut-offs from increasing. Here's hoping!

Elaine

i have a 3rd yr gpa of 3.68 and a 4th yr gpa of 3.9. Would I be able to apply to this school or do you have to have over a 3.7 for both of your last 2 years?

No, it's a cumulative over the two years, which should be about 3.78-3.79 for you, so you should be covered.

hey, kind of a random question here...

if one takes a couple summer courses following a full year undergrad, Queens' does not include those classes in the GPA. is that correct?

thanks in advance

It depends. If you are applying with your overall GPA, Queen's will consider all courses including summer courses. However, if your overall GPA doesn't meet the cut-off, and they are looking at your most recent two years, summer courses will not count.

Elaine

• 2 weeks later...
does Queen's count the 'year' you are applying into the GPA consideration of the 'last two years' or do the last two years have to be the year before the year you are applying?

thanks!

Say if you are applying in your fourth year, then the last two years will be your second and third.

they only use the "last two years" policy if you met the overall GPA requirement right?

what happens if a person's overall GPA is 3.7 lets say, and their "last two years" is 3.6? do they get an invite?

Yes, a person with an overall GPA above the minimum GPA would get an interview invite (provided the MCAT minimums are also met), even if his/her last 2 year GPA is below the cut-off. Queen's uses the overall GPA as a first calculation, and only if you don't make that cut do they look at the last two years.

It is possible, but unlikely, that the overall GPA cut-off will increase past 3.7 this year. For the past two years the GPA cut-offs have been 3.68 (overall) and 3.78 (last two years).

Elaine

It is possible, but unlikely, that the overall GPA cut-off will increase past 3.7 this year. For the past two years the GPA cut-offs have been 3.68 (overall) and 3.78 (last two years).

Elaine

I'm wondering how the new CBT MCAT will affect Queen's cutoffs (not to mention that summer MCAT fiasco, which I believe was remedied but I haven't been following that issue too closely). Less Canadian applicants writing MCATs due to AAMC's mishaps = lower Queen's cutoffs??!!

Don't think it will crack the 3.7 barrier any time soon (though 3.68 is cutting it close). Keep in mind that at one point it was 3.5 something.

Do they round the GPA to 2 decimal places or do they truncate it?

My cumulative GPA is 3.677272... so if it was rounded I'd be at 3.68. I know this is cutting it close so I'm not sure if I'm going to apply to Queens, I'm writing my MCAT in August so if I do well I probably will apply anyways. Does anyone know if they round?

Do they round the GPA to 2 decimal places or do they truncate it?

My cumulative GPA is 3.677272... so if it was rounded I'd be at 3.68. I know this is cutting it close so I'm not sure if I'm going to apply to Queens, I'm writing my MCAT in August so if I do well I probably will apply anyways. Does anyone know if they round?

They don't round.... but apply regardless. 2 years ago it was 3.66, so you never know. Mine is 3.69 right now... I'm praying the cutoff doesn't go up (just like I'm praying I can kick the MCAT's ass this August).

Archived