Premed 101 Forums

a bad year...

Guest hurricanekrishna82

Guest hurricanekrishna82

Hi ~

I am aiming to enter MEDS one day. I am going into fourth year. My situation has become a little complicated because of some family problems and it costed me dearly...my third year marks dropped substantially. My 3rd year GPA weighted is 2.5. I am doing an additional year to make up for my third year and I very positive I can do well over the next two years. I understand that Queens lookst at last two years. I have significant volunteer and clinical experience as well. I have assisted surgery, observed surgeries, shadowed docs and also have a paper under review and a presentation coming up. I am also a manager of an Ortho Surg Research Lab. I have not done the MCAT yet, planning to do it next summer. I was wondering whether this bad year will affect my chances at Queens. Thanks...

In order to get an interview at Queen's you have to meet the GPA and MCAT cutoff. It varies from year to year depending on the applicant pool, but the GPA cutoff has been around 3.6 for the last few years. I think Queen's does consider your last two years if your overall GPA doesn't meet the cutoff. Once you get an interview, your grades are no longer a factor for admission. It's 50% interview, 50% essay/personal information form. As long as your GPA over the next two years is around that 3.6 mark and your MCAT is up to par, there should be no worries about a bad year.

Jenny

Guest threeputt

Also, I believe that as long as your next two years are full-time, you will be fine at Western as well, though their cutoff is a little higher (3.7ish). Many schools have a contingency for dropping bad courses to get an adjusted GPA, so do your research, keep your chin up, and apply away!

Guest turtle

hi hurricanekrishna

i just want to let you know: don't give up hope!! i was in a very similar situation to yours, with a bad 3rd year (3rd yr gpa 2.8), also a result of a number of personal issues....and I was just accepted to Queen's this year! in my case, rather than do an extra year of undergrad, i decided to pursue an MSc before applying to medicine, which not only gave me 2 more years (my 4th year, & my first MSc year) to up my GPA, but also gave me some extra time to get my sh*t together, gain some life experiences, make sure medicine was for me etc etc etc... in the end, I think the only school where that one year really hurt me was for McMaster, since they include ALL your courses in their GPA calculation. (It could potentially have made a difference at Ottawa too, but i didn't apply there.)

So there...don't beat yourself up over something you can't change. Chances are you've learned some valuable things from all the stuff you dealt with in your third year...and if you end up having to take some extra time before getting into med school, it's no big deal.

hope that helps

turtle

• 1 year later...

Archived