Premed 101 Forums

laptops

Guest marika3

Guest marika3

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how the prices are at Queen's computer store, or recommend a good place to buy a computer in Kingston. Also, does anyone have a suggestion for good/bad brands to buy? What about PC vs Mac? I've never shopped for a computer before, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Marika

Guest Elaine I

Hi Marika,

I am rather rough on my laptop, given that I cart it to and from work, and it has flown across the ambulance more than once... I have a Toshiba, and have never had the slightest difficulty with it. Durability is certainly as good as they claim! On the other hand, I previously had an IBM laptop, and did not have near as good of time with durability. By the time the screen broke three times (not from dropping), I decided it was time to cut my losses.

Just my opinion,

Elaine

Hey Marika,

The Queen's computer store website has their price list, at ccstore.queensu.ca - it looks kinda pricey compared to what you could find at Future Shop/Staples/etc, but it's convenient. There's some leasing programme they offer too if throwing down a bunch of money in one go's a problem (which if you get your line of credit set up, it shouldn't be).

PC or Mac, it's more of a personal choice nowadays since there's really nothing you can't do with either one - find whatever fits in your price/size/weight range. Performance-wise, you can't go wrong either way. Me, I'm using a PowerBook (got it online at www.apple.ca - enter your student number in the store and you can get the discounts), and if I had to make the choice over again, I'd stick with it. I think my class might even be over 50% Mac now, seems like it's sweeping Meds '06.

Hey Marika,

I have a laptop from Dell which I've had for 3 years now. I like having a laptop, but in all honesty I don't bring it out of my room very often. There are tons of computers in the library and there is a computer room in the hospital so if I need to use a computer when I'm studying, I just use those.

Jenny

• 1 year later...

Archived