Premed 101 Forums

Exam Schedule

Guest Elaine I

Guest Elaine I

How is the Queen's exam period structured? In other words, do you have exams after each system, or do you have several exams at the end of the semester (trimester? quarter?)?

How many exams do you typically have at once? How much time off do you get after your last class until your first exam?

Thanks for the information.

Elaine

Guest HSR07

We write exams at the end of each term, meaning December and April/May (end of May in 1st year, end of April in 2nd year). Each exam period covers everything covered that semester. For example, I just finished Phase IIA, so our exams covered microbiology and immunology, infectious disease, oncology, hematology, dermatology, and musculoskeletal systems plus ethics, epidemiology, and other community health type topics.

We typically have about a week and a half between our last day of class and our first exam.

In Phase I, the first semester of Queen's Meds, we write an anatomy bell ringer the first day, a multiple choice exam the day after, and a short answer exam on the last day. In Phase II, we still write 3 exams each semester. The first one is the multiple choice, the day after is short answer, and the last day is practical, which is where they put up slides and you have to answer questions about them.

Alot of people, including me before I started at Queen's, don't like the thought of having to study a whole semesters worth of material at once, but having made it through 2 exam periods so far, I am now a big fan of it. Yes, the month leading up to the exams is guaranteed to suck, but by having to know and remember all the material at once I think you learn the material better and remember it more than with other systems. I definitely feel alot more confident with everything I learnt in the past year than anything I ever learnt in undergrad.

Guest drews97

I agree with HSR. The last month does suck before finals but it gives you a lot of time during the semester to pursue other interests (observerships, sports...drinking, whatever:) ) and, like she mentioned, forces you to learn and retain information from the whole semester. This way you can't just write a test on a system and forget about it.

• 1 year later...

Archived