Premed 101 Forums

Renter Beware

Guest oO0chickpea0Oo

Guest oO0chickpea0Oo

So I went to Kingston this weekend to look for a place, and it was *interesting*...I'm really only posting this as a warning to all others looking for a place, DO NOT RENT FROM DAPHNE DEAN!! She was the most rude landlord I have ever met, and I spoke with some med students while I was down there and they had quite a few horror stories about friends that had rented from her...and when I came back to work today, I was telling a previous student of Queens about her, and before I even said her name, he knew I was talking about her, further showing how world renowned she is for inflicting terror upon her tenants! Now this isn't purely a D. Dean bashing, as she does have some of the most immaculate homes available for students, however, renter beware....

I also met many other landlords that day, and they were all the nicest things! Some even had reference letters from previous tenants! That's one thing I overlooked-- When house hunting, be sure to assess the house as well as it's owner:D

~pea~

PS:Moderators, feel free to remove this post if you feel it's inappropriate...I just thought I'd save a few classmates from some bad landlord experiences...I'm sure we've all had enough of those :)

Guest avisee

I can't think of the website off the top of my head, but I know that the QUeen's student union has recently set up a website for students to post reviews of various houses and landlords. Given that there are a lot of landlords or property mgmt firms in Kingston that own a large number of houses, one can often find comments on a particular landlord even if there are no comments on the house of interest. I can't remember the exact URL but it was something along the lines of ghetto[something].com. I bet you can find the proper address on the AMS website (http://www.myams.org) or a Queen's student might be able to give you the link.

The site used to be accessible through http://www.ghettohouses.com, but that doesn't seem to work today, so try www.myams.org/houses instead - it's not as extensive as the main Queen's Accommodation Listing Service but has pretty detailed info on lots of places and landlords in the area.

I have a story, back in first year I was looking at a Daphne Dean place, it looked pretty good, and I actually felt pretty secure about the "rules" she was setting up for the place. But then she said she'd only take you if you're an Ontario resident. Something about being able to track you down in case you're liable for something. My Ontario-ness lacking, I ended up going somewhere else instead.

Happy hunting everyone!

Guest californicator

my friends lived in one of her houses; she'd randomly come in with a toy cop/rent-a-cop and inspect the house to see that there were not more than 2 guests.

also, guests cannot stay over at her houses.

wacky at best

Guest CalicoKal

Hi guys,

I've lived in a D.Dean house for three years. In all fairness, she's not as bad as she makes herself out to be. But I will admit, she scared me too at first (we're talking tears). I had people stay over all the time. As long as you're quiet it's not too bad. Don't even think of throwing a party in the house. If you're a quiet, clean and polite person, she's polite back to you... If you really want a great place, then it's worth it...

Just my experience.

Guest drews97

Or just go for a Homestead building. It's a little expensive but there are no psycho rules and you will net a nice place to live in. Seriously, the thought of my land-lord hiring a secruity guard to make sure that I didn't have too many people over would really piss me off.

Guest Oregano112

I'm in a homestead building right now and its great! If you can get them, they're pretty good places. Well run, convenient location, easy to talk to staff, no crazy rules... pets allowed (important for me as I have 2 cats and 2 turtles)...

Good luck!

R

• 1 year later...
  • 15 years later...

Daphne Dean was a fantastic landlord (lady). She demanded we respect her properties, which we did, and in return we had safe, clean and quiet places to live while students at Queen's University. We followed the rules and we were rewarded with even better properties to rent owned by Daphne the following year(s). If you want excellent accomodation and are willing to act like an adult, then go with Daphne Dean.

20 hours ago, Jordan L-B said:

Daphne Dean was a fantastic landlord (lady). She demanded we respect her properties, which we did, and in return we had safe, clean and quiet places to live while students at Queen's University. We followed the rules and we were rewarded with even better properties to rent owned by Daphne the following year(s). If you want excellent accomodation and are willing to act like an adult, then go with Daphne Dean.

Nice try, Daphne