Premed 101 Forums

Meds House

Guest justanotherpremed

Guest justanotherpremed

HI, i have a few questions about meds house that I was hoping some current Queen's med students could answer.

Will we get to see Meds House during interview weekend?

Why did so few students stay in Meds house last year?

Do you know anyone who lives in meds house and, if so, what do they say about it?

personally, it sounds ideal to me :hat :smokin

p.s. - are there billeting services for out-of-province interviewees?

There will be an opportunity to see Meds House during interview weekend. 7 of my classmates live in Meds House and from what I hear, they all love it. There are many benefits: it's a couple minutes from campus, the rent is cheap, and you get lunch and dinner cooked for you on weekdays. In addition, there are out-of-house members who have lunch at Meds House and take part in all the Meds House activities. I'm pretty sure that there is going to be a social event one evening during each interview weekend at Meds House.

There are billeting services available...the information should be in the package with the interview invite.

Guest drews97

Just to add a few things. Meds house is basically a pseudo-frat house, with an orientation (initiation) week for members. Like %%WORD17% said, even if you choose not to live in meds house you can become an out of house member which is convenient for people that live far away from campus, it is literally 1 minute from where you will have most of your 1st year classes. I think there are so few students staying in meds house because it is limited by the number of rooms. The returning upper years get the opportunity to retain their spot in meds house so there are a limited number of spaces available.

Some advantages of meds house are that you get lunch and dinner (or just lunch if you're an out of house member) prepared for you, you're super close to the university, and you get to meet more of the upper year students than you would if you're not affiliated with meds house. All the people that I know who live there love it. It is quiet during the day but they have great parties!!!

Some disadvantages are that the food is generally said to be pretty bad. Also, as a first year member you do ALL the work setting up/cleaning up before and after parties. There are also a lot of chores to be done by all members. Also, if you do choose to live in meds house, you may find that MOST of your time is spent with other in-house members. This may or may not be a bad thing, but you may spend all of your time with the same limited group of people. Anyway, we'll see you soon...maybe I'll even be billeting you!!

Guest Sarah371

Meds House is not a Frat House in the traditional sense that we choose members....anybody who is a student in the medical school is free to join.

What no one has mentioned is the fact that Meds House Members get to know people in all four years of medicine....they have support from those who have gone before. One of the best things about Meds House!!!

Yes you have to work hard during the first year but that helps build comraderie within your class and helps you get to know other house members....and once your first year is over you are only responsible for two work weekends a year.

As for food....I don't eat there anymore as a fourth year...but last year there was good and bad stuff....I know the house council is always trying to improve the food for the members and get the cook to make things that people like.....and where else are you going to get soup/salad/maincourse and dessert for 5.25?

Joining Meds House was one of the smartest things I did first year...I enjoyed it so much that I was on house council for two years and was the President last year. If you have anymore questions just ask. SARAH

Guest Sarah371

I forgot....16 medical students live in meds house...traditionally 6 first years, 5 second years, 3 third years and 2 fourth years. There can be changes to this depending on the number of students in a given year who want to stay. We have had as few as 3 first year in house members and as many as 9. The numbers tend to tilt towards the lower years because 3rd and 4th years go away on electives and rotations and don't tend to have as much time to put into the house. again anymore questions just ask. SARAH

Guest justanotherpremed

here's my other questions:

- what do you do for food on the weekends?

- if i want to stay in meds house, is there a chance that there won't be room?

:hat :smokin

p.s. I know that I'm getting way ahead of myself, but it beats writing a cell biology essay :hat :smokin

Guest coastal79

Can you apply for meds house only after you've been accepted? Sounds perfect for me if I were to get in cause my girlfriend has another year of school out here in BC before she'd come out east. Only negative is that cooking is one of my hobbies (I'm darn good ;) ) and I'd miss making my own meals. On the other hand, I doubt I'll have the time in med school.

Yeah, you can only apply to live in meds house after you get your acceptance. I think it's pretty much first come first served. As for food on weekends, you have to cook for yourself. There's a big kitchen and plenty of kitchen supplies. I think there's usually lots of leftovers from the week though.

• 2 years later...

Archived