Premed 101 Forums

Likes/Dislikes..

Guest zirneklis

Guest zirneklis

Hi everyone,

Thanks for responding to so many of my questions. You have been a huge help. I just have one final, basic question. Honestly, what do all of you like and dislike the most about Queen's??

Thanks again

Z

Guest cgb2006

Hi zirneklis:

I guess I'm the first to reply to your questions.

What I like best about Queen's is the relaxed and friendly relationship that exists between the faculty and students. This applies to lecturers and clinical instructors. The faculty here really make an effort to have close contact with and get to know as many of us as possible. From day one, any of us were welcome to contact any clinical faculty to set up one-on-one observerships. The faculty are always willing to have us join them. They are also very willing to set up review sessions whenever we needed them. Many faculty members know a lot of the class by name. This is a nice refreshing change from undergrad.

My second "like" is the clinical skills training program. The program at Queen's is truly exceptional. Our clinical education centre is really a wonderful resource, and quite nice I might add. The program begins in the first week of classes and runs the entire year. The class is divided into small groups, in which we learn the history taking, physical exams, and other clinical skills (ex. suturing, IVs, airway management...etc, etc, etc). The program incorporates Standardized patients (actors), volunteer patients (non-actors), and hospital in-patients....all in the first year. It really is a great program.

The "dislikes" question is one that I find rather difficult to answer. It is difficult to post my answer, because initially it may seems to contradict my answers to the "likes" question. Having come into medicine from another health care discipline, in my first year I found myself craving more patient contact than was offered through the clinical skills training program. Having said this, I have to immediately say that I do feel that the patient exposure provided in first year at Queen's is more than sufficient, and actually pretty exceptional (as I mentioned above). But for me personally, I would have liked more. The good thing is that, as I mentioned above, any student can contact any clinical faculty at any time to set up individual clinical opportunities. This allows everyone to have as much clinical exposure as they desire.

I hope this helps.

• 3 years later...

Archived