Premed 101 Forums

post-interview feelings

Guest bad hombre

Guest bad hombre

Hey everyone,

I just had my interview this weekend. I felt that the whole thing went very well during and immediately after the interview. Actually, right after I left the room I felt I was in for sure. However, on the way home I started thinking about certain answers here and there that I felt could have been better, and that I mentioned several things I really shouldn't have. By the time I went to bed I was having very negative feelings concerning how the whole thing went. Anyways, this was my first med-school interview experience. I was wondering if these feelings of self-doubt are normal, and what one can do to cope with these feelings.

This is going to be the longest wait ever, especially if I get wait-listed.

I hope that everyone feels better than I do, and that you get the right letter come June :)

>:

Guest RAK2005

I went through the same process as you. By a week after my interview I was certain I had given some terrible answers... In reality, I was waaaaaaay too hard on myself (I did get in afterall !) and it made the wait brutal. My point is, I think most people overscrutinize their interview afterwards. Try and remember that one or two minor "mistakes" may not even be noticed by the committee, AND there still is 50 % of your mark from your CV, bio and reference letters.

Good luck !

Guest r6punkette

Dear bad hombre,

I think it's completely normal to replay the interview in your head over and over again and inevitably if you go through it enough times you'll find something to criticize. Keep in mind that your interviewers just want to know if you're a good fit for medicine and for the school. There isn't usually a correct answer to their questions. They also know that most interviewees are nervous and may say things by accident sometimes. It's perfectly understandable.

The wait is the worse part of it all.. I know I drove my friends nuts talking about how I should I have said this or that.. I reread my essays a few times (NOT recommended!!!! :D ) and wished I wrote it differently... All I can say is good luck and try your very best to think about other things such as the BEAUTIFUL weather outside!!! ;)

Guest bad hombre

yeah, i remember worrying a @#%$ the day after my mcat (even throughout a hangover), but in the end i did fine. hopefully the same will be true of the interview. i'll probably forget all about it by tommorow:smokin

good luck:b

Guest Nadz227

Hey bad hombre,

I just wanted to say...I know EXACTLY what u mean! That's totally how I feel right now...thought the interview went great at the time and immediately afterwards but have now convinced myself that it was terrible :o And though I know it's pointless to worry and wonder, how can u not when the outcome will have such a big influence on your life! Anywaz, sorry I'm probably not helping very much but I just wanted to say that I totally sympathize and that at least you're not alone:)

Guest MayFlower1

bad hombre,

I too know how you're feeling, although, I can honestly say that this year (this is my second time applying) it's quite different. I guess I've resigned to the fact that we aren't finding out until, at the earliest, the week of June 1st. Last year I stressed out so much...I really couldn't possibly have gone through that level of emotion this year. I did the best I could during my interview...I can't change it now...I'm not looking back...that was the problem last year...the re-analysis and second-guessing killed me. Funny, even though I have sworn not to look back, I still find my unconsciousness "squeezing out" some of those awkward interview moments into consciousness. ;)

Take care...try to relax...find stuff to occupy your time...perhaps like writing this message at 5:00am 8o

Peter

• 3 years later...

Archived