Premed 101 Forums

different interview experience

Guest coldspell

Guest coldspell

Hi,

First of all, I want to also thank the queen's med students for a great weekend; you had to be some of the nicest people I have ever met. The environment is so positive and so much fun, and it really made the whole experience less stressful. Thanks again.

As for my interview, it was really different than the typical queen's interview. One of my interviewers was really antagonistic and challenged almost all of my answers pretty forcefully. The other two interviewers looked fairly taken aback by it all. We talked a lot about heath care, politics and even ethics, and whatever I said seemed to be torn apart.

I did keep my composure, and remained gracious (I like to think), but I was just wondering if anyone else had a similar experience? I was just really surprised because it seems really out of the ordinary for a queen's interview. I wasn't asked very many "standard" questions at all.

So I think i'm pretty much done for this year, but hopefully everyone else had a better experience.

Guest Nightrider

I had my Queen's interview this past Sunday, and mine, too, was somewhat different than what I had been expecting. Three of my friends had already had their Queen's interviews and told me that they were friendly and relaxed. Mine was not. Well, it was relaxed...I didn't feel nervous at all going in, and I didn't get any completely unexpected questions. That said, my interview was NOT "friendly". I barely got a smile out of my interviewers, and one of them really kept pushing me on how I dealt with conflict (in a volunteer situation where I did not experience conflict!). Anyway, I was not nervous, and feel that I answered all the questions to the best of my ability, and I don't think I would have changed any of my answers. So, overall, I felt that my interview went well, but I was a little uncomfortable with the cold, unfriendly vibe that my interviewers were projecting.

Guest Namgalsip

Nightrider,

I had a similar experience to yours. My interviewers were very unfriendly. They seemed to have a serious face throughout the interview and a total lack of responsiveness to my answers. No smile, nod or any sign of approval. They just stared at me as I answered my questions with almost an "I don't think she's telling the truth" type of a look. However, I wasn't asked any challenging questions and they just seemed to go down the list (that was posted on the web page) not following up on any of the topics I discussed. It felt like they couldn't care less about what I said.

That being said, interview aside, I had a wonderful time last weekend. The students were great!!! Excellent work guys! The party was awesome and I met some amazing people over the weekend from the 1st year meds class. I can't remember the last time I had so much fun....sad..I know!

It's too bad about the interview though. I just couldn't get them to loosen up.

Nams

Guest aneliz

I wouldn't worry about it too much....I had a very similar feeling coming out of my UWO interview last year...everybody hyped it up to be relaxed and friendly and my experience was pretty much what you all experienced at Queen's...I was convinced that I was doomed and that I had blown the interview so badly that I wasn't even going to make it onto the waiting list....but when June 1st came, I got a nice thick, first round acceptance....while some of my friends who thought that their interview was the best, most relaxed, most friendly thing ever got ye olde waitlist.

Moral of the story is: you will always come out of any interview with self-doubts...and you can't necessarily judge your performance by how it felt at the time.

It isn't over yet!!!

Good luck everybody! :)

Guest JSS02

I had an experience similar to those of Nightrider and Namgalsip when I interviewed at Queen's last year. I found the student really friendly but the faculty and community members to be very distant and unresponsive to my answers, although the questions themselves were fair. I ended up getting accepted by Queen's a few days after they started sending out offers to people on the waitlist, so they couldn't have hated me TOO much. :P

It's not something you should be worrying about right now (though I know from experience that it's hard not to). Focus on any remaining interviews or exams that you might have, and see what happens in June.

Hey

I had a similar experience at Queens. I'm glad to know I was not the only one cause that had me a bit worried :) Do you guys remember who your interviewers were?

My interview experience was difficult. The questions were hard and very general, we talked about healthcare issues, religion and ethics...and then how they tied into together. It was definately not "conversational". However, the WORST part of the interview was just the attitude of 2/3 members of my panel. My interview was the very last group on Sunday and almost immediately I could tell they were very tired (body language) and seemed very uninterested in what I was saying. bad vibe :(

Besides my interview, my weekend at Kingston was great! I think the med students and the campus are absolutely wonderful! :)

Guest doctorfunk

i interviewed in the last time slot (3pm Sun), and my interviewers were noticably fatigued. and they admitted it at 4pm when the interview was over. ah well, no sense mulling over this stuff now...

Guest Lisa88

I had a similar experience at queens. The atmosphere was anything but relaxed...nothing like a relaxed conversation. It's comforting to know there are others out there. The panel was stone-faced most the time...The med student was super serious, as was the community member...and the faculty member didn't even seem to be paying attention.

However,I also agree that the Queen's students were great and made the weekend really pleasurable (my interview was the 1st weekend).

On the other hand, my interview at UWO went so much better (at least in my opinion). The panel was really friendly, smiled a lot, and even made some jokes. Also, I probably felt a little more comfortable with the interview set up.

Oh well, hope all goes well for us in the end

:)

• 3 years later...

Archived