Premed 101 Forums

Ages

Guest idreamofmeds

Guest idreamofmeds

Hello everyone,

I just read a post which mentioned that Queens mean age is 25 while Western's is 23. Does Queen's prefer older applicants? I know that at Western everyone is looked at the same, regardless of age. I hope to get accepted to Queens next year (I will be 21), should I be planning on a few more years?

Thanks

Guest Ian Wong

Averages are just that. Averages. For every 28 year old person they accept, there will be a 21 year old to counterbalance that. If you meet their admissions criteria, and have the qualities they are looking for, you have as good a chance as anyone else of getting an acceptance letter.

Best of luck to you,

Ian

Guest r6punkette

As Ian said, your age has nothing to do with your chances of getting in. I believe our youngest classmate was 19 when he started in September and there are quite a few who are 21 this year like you will be so don't worry! Good luck! :D

Guest JSS02

I guess you were talking about my post on the Western board. No school looks at your age and gives you bonus points or penalizes you for being older or younger. As Ian said, an average doesn't take into account the ranges that exist. Nearly everyone I know personally who was accepted to Queen's was well under their average age (ranging from 19 to 22). Also, I'm sure the statistics for each incoming class (including age) change a bit from year to year, so just because Western has a younger class compared to Queen's one year doesn't mean it will be like that every year (as I said, it only had a minor influence in my decision). I was basing what I mentioned in the other post on the previous 2 years, but perhaps the gap is even smaller (or even reversed) with the current first years at each school.

• 3 years later...

Archived